2004 Ford Freestar...car barely starts, even with new battery

Old 06-04-15, 09:40 AM
2004 Ford Freestar...car barely starts, even with new battery

So I have een having what seems to be electrical issues with this car. The radio and clock wouldnt turn off and it drained the battery frequently. I have put in a new battery and it was going well for a while and then the radio thing started again. I started to remove the relay in the fuse under the dash so it wouldnt stay on. I onyl drive teh car to work and back, 4 miles round trip. Now it wont turn over and starts clicking even with the new battery. It wont start if I leave it alone for more than like 5 hours. Its like something is draining it while it sits overnight, but I cant figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-15, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like your battery is drained and needs to be charged. Once charged up if you disconnect the battery when you park it for a long length of time it won't discharge ..... but you do need to figure out why it's discharging so you can fix it.

Old 06-04-15, 10:21 AM
Could it be that your short trip to work is not enough time to recharge the battery?

Old 06-04-15, 10:31 AM
I believe that I would start by inspecting the grounds; disconnecting, cleaning the mating surfaces, and reconnecting them. You will find one at the other end of of the negative cable from the battery, and there is most likely one, probably a bit harder to locate without a manual, although may find online, between the body and chassis. Not as likely, but I would also check the hood and any interior accessory lights, to make sure they are not staying on. If you happen to have a trailer connector, I would also inspect and check that with a VOM, as they can sometimes be damaged, but easily overlooked.

Old 06-04-15, 11:13 AM
Have the alternator checked for shorted diode. That will drain battery quickly.

RR

Search this Thread