oil filter

Old 06-25-15, 01:54 PM
oil filter

Hi everyone.
I want to change the oil and oil filter in my ford focus 2009. If i use a sintetic oil i will need an especial oil filter or can i use the motorcraft fl910 filter??

What oil do you suggest that can i buy? High millage oil . Sintetic oil or just a normal oil.
The car has 160.000km

Thanks you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-15, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never use the fully synthetic oil but as far as I know the same filter is used. I'm partial to the hi mileage synthetic blend for engines with 100k or more.

Old 06-26-15, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
No difference in filters. I use Wal-Mart Supertech full-syn 10w-30 in my wrecker and the engine currently has about 250,000 miles on it. This is kind of a "field test"; last motor threw a rod @ 280,000 miles on conventional 10w-30. It uses about a quart in 5000 miles. Make sure you use the grade recommended for your engine whether it is syn, blend, or conventional.

Old 06-27-15, 05:10 PM
When I switched my truck from conventional oil to syn blend it was like I added 20 hp and the fuel milage increased 10%. Filters don't care what oil you use.

Old 06-27-15, 07:59 PM
I go to a 2-man with 4 bays that is very good, know their business and best of all, very, very honest. On the down side, their scheduling is done using a calendar and not a clock. Drop it off in the morning and it always be done that day, but it may be at 8 PM. Also is open 6 days a week - That gives you an idea of the shop and the reason I only go there. He calls ahead and delivers the car (1 mile away) and I give him a lift back. I know what to expect.

I use Mobil 1 since that was in the car (1999 Jimmy) when it was born and the same for my wife's 2000 Blazer. He told be he does not stock Mobil 1 because not many customers wanted it and he did not have "gofer" or runner and that I should run to Walmart and buy some jugs of Mobil 1. He does the same for his 4 Corvettes and his SUVs. He said the filter brand does not make much difference and try to keep to the major brands. - Deadly honest and knows his business and just charges a minimal amount for labor on the change and disposal for a change.

Dick

Old 06-28-15, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ro, I am not trying to hijack your thread, but maybe the information would help for a higher mileage vehicle.

So, guys, I have read about your synthetic oil experiences. Would anyone recommend switching from Rotella in a Cummins diesel with 453,000 miles, to a synthetic blend. Would there be adverse affects? Would there be any benefits for ME, not the oil producers? Bearing in mind it takes 11 quarts to do an oil change. The truck performs flawlessly, so I don't want to jeopardize that.

Old 06-28-15, 09:11 AM
Filters wise, 2 best filters available are Mobil 1 or K&N, whichever one is less expensive at the moment.
Next best is Purolator.
Based on research done by end user and posted for everyone online.
OP, you switch to synthetic oil ONLY if your car is not burning or otherwise excessively consuming oil. Leaks and such. Otherwise, it is not feasible to switch to and good conventional oil is recommended.
I'll stand by Amsoil no matter what. I had 12 000 miles off it before refills and it's the only one guaranteed for 25 000 miles. It's expensive but at say 5 000 oil change principle for conventional oils, it's feasible to use.

Old 07-13-15, 01:41 PM
If you switch from conventional to Mobil 1, it's amazing how quick the oil turns pitch black. switched back to conventional with no ill effects.

Old 07-13-15, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard that with bio diesel that it will plug up filters until the whole fuel system gets cleaned and then the filters will go an extremely long time, perhaps the same is true with the synthetic oil. It seems to me if the filter is getting dirtier it means the oil is cleaning the engine better.

Old 07-13-15, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Larry.... not to further hijack the thread. I switched from Rotella T to synthetic at 250k miles due to the cold winters. Now I have 400k miles and my 7.3L Ford Diesel uses 15 quarts of oil and a two quart filter.

Old 07-13-15, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
If you switch from conventional to Mobil 1, it's amazing how quick the oil turns pitch black. switched back to conventional with no ill effects.
Thanks for posting...

synthetic oil cleaned your motor is why it turned black fast.. has natural cleaning properties like trans fluid...

IMO maybe you dont know about oil....

Old 07-14-15, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pete, so no ill effects with the high mileage? Yeah, Mike, I heard that is what happens when the new oil cleans all the nooks and crannies of the engine. I would have stuck with the synthetic. I'll have to price synthetic to see if it would be a good swap item.

Old 07-14-15, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
No ill effects. Starts much easier in colder weather. The synthetic is approx $5-$8 more a gallon.