Mazda RX-7 starting problems

Old 06-28-15, 06:28 AM
Mazda RX-7 starting problems

I have a 2004 Mazda RX7 Rotary Engine. Every once and a while you have to hold the gas peddle about 1/2 way down and crank the engine for quite a while to get it to start does not do it every time. Had it to the Mazda Dealer and they tuned it up but it still does it. Other than that the car runs great. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 07:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Before you actually start the car, turn the key to the on position. You will hear the electric fuel pump run for a few seconds & stop. It is filling the fuel line to it's maximum pressure. At that point, the pressure sensor stops the pump. That's when you crank the engine.

Old 06-28-15, 09:05 AM
Well, that you have to let more air in to start indicates rich condition and spark plugs fouled by petrol. The way you start it is "flooded engine" technique. As I know nothing about rotary engines, is it safe to presume that it still has injectors? May be time for injector cleaning job. Plenty of DIY vids on YT for that.

Old 06-28-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
I had a friend that had that rotary engine. Flooding the engine has a negative effect on those engines in that the gas washes the oil out of the chamber and the compression drops to zero. He would have to remove the spark plugs and give a squirt of oil. It would start up instantly.

I had a feeling it was due to a leaking injector. (car is gone now)