2001 Saturn sl2 - can any one explain why it would not start

Old 06-28-15, 09:09 PM
2001 Saturn sl2 - can any one explain why it would not start

2001 saturn sl2 with 5 years old battery in it.....
car was working fine until couple of days ago it would not start so I thought may be I left the door open and it drained the battery so I jump started and it started right up and I removed the jumper cables and let it idle for few minutes...after few minutes it died ...I would say about 7 mins ...so I jump started again and it did the same thing after about 7 mins it died again while it was on idle..

so you would assume it last for about 7 mins until battery dies but when we checked at autozone we found battery has full charge but they also found dead cell.

how can battery have full charge if it was running on battery for those 7 mins. ( I am assuming alternator is bad)...

can someone explain...am confused if battery is bad with one or ore dead cell how come it has full charge.... and if alternator was bad how come it has full charge?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 09:13 PM
Alternator is not producing enough power supply. Check at alternator terminals, if possible, what is power output.Car should be able to fully run with battery disconnected with good alternator. Done it.

Old 06-28-15, 11:00 PM
Question

Well after I came from auto zone and connected the battery again...did not do anything else...the car started and idle fine for more than 10 minus ...weird ....can any one explain...is this very hot outside has to do something with it?

Old 06-29-15, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When idling are there any warning lights on the dash illuminated?? If the battery icon is lit, then you probably have a poor output from the alternator. Otherwise, with just a weak battery, the alternator should overcome any need the vehicle has for power. One thing you did was "reconnect" the battery. Are your terminals shiny clean? How about the battery leads? This is very important.

Old 06-29-15, 07:22 PM
Not sure what else to explain. Two of us now telling you you have under-performing alternator that need to be checked. Is this an inconvenient theory?