So mad at napa parts! Where to get good aftermarket parts?

Old 07-01-15, 02:35 PM
So mad at napa parts! Where to get good aftermarket parts?

A couple years ago I started working on a Blazer. I took it in to find out what was knocking in my front suspension. The mechanic said it was my balljoints so I decided to do it myself.
I bought all the parts from napa and greased and installed. I then drove 60 mile round trip to have an alignment done and then drove it for a couple days after that.
The thing was giving my trans problems so I parked it in storage for 2 years because we moved. I resently got it out and fixed the trans, Whilst I was under there I noticd my tires were wearing down and the new balljoints exploded.

It infuriates me because the day I got them, a guy had asked me if the balljoints were for a gocart. I basicly waisted money and time on s***t. And now I need to waist more money on balljoints and an alignment again plus now I need tires!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-15, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't you have expected the guy doing the alignment (2 years ago) to have noticed that the balljoints were wrong ?

Old 07-01-15, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
I don't understand. If I was going to do a part replacement and the new ones seemed different than the old, I'd verify what I had. You can't blame the store or the parts guy if he gave you proper parts based on the vehicle information. Did you buy name brand (ACDelco, Moog, Raybestos, etc) or cheapies?

I also don't know what "exploded" means in relation to ball joints. The actual metal or the boots?

If you only drove for maybe a couple of hundred miles or so, unless the alignment was waaaay off, there shouldn't be that much tire wear.

Old 07-01-15, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
I've used Napa parts for years and never had any problems. Many times they did have a regular or heavy duty part available.

Old 07-02-15, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the day I got them, a guy had asked me if the balljoints were for a gocart
Who was this guy? I would expect a big noticeable difference between truck and go cart ball joints! Seems to me there is more to the story.

Old 07-02-15, 06:32 AM
Whilst I was under there I noticd my tires were wearing down and the new balljoints exploded.
Sounds like overgreasing to me.

Over the years I have spent far more money at Carquest than Napa, but never really had a problem with either of them. My most recent purchase was for a thermostat and antifreeze from Napa. Since Carquest is now owned by Advance Auto Parts, I have no idea if their quality has changed.

Old 07-02-15, 09:47 PM
There has to be some confusion over this ball joint situation. A badly worn ball joint may snap in use but they will not "explode".

For what it's worth, many car parts come from the same suppliers. They just package them differently for the customers.

Many of those parts you buy in any car parts store are the same ones used by the car manufacturers when they build the cars on the assembly line.

Old 07-13-15, 01:36 PM
I don't work for these guys but have been using them for parts if you can wait a few days. [Link removed; Copy archived] is also a lot less expensive to than the stores you walk into. Hope i don't get into trouble for mentioning this, just trying to help.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-13-15 at 02:24 PM.

Search this Thread