Steering too sensitive

Old 07-02-15, 11:43 AM
Steering too sensitive

I have a 2014 Honda CR-V that I absolutely love.....except for the handling!
There is next to no "play" in the steering wheel. It is almost impossible to stay in a straight line without wondering from side to side. I would like to know if there is a way to increase the amount of "play" in the wheel. Any comments will be appreciated.....thanks, Buz

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-15, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Is it the steering wheel or the short wheel base of the vehicle?

Old 07-02-15, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
And are there ultra low profile tires on the vehicle?

Old 07-02-15, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wifey has a 2013 and loves it as well. One other question, what did you drive before the CRV? I drive a Dodge Ram 3500, and it is night and day, so I expect some difference.

Old 07-02-15, 01:59 PM
I don't know if the problem is the short wheel base or the steering wheel. I would think the short wheel base would affect the turn ratio....but not the sensitivity in the steering....but I'm not a mechanic, that's why I asked the question.

The tires are not ultra low profile

I also drive a 2004 Honda Odyssey and a 1996 Honda Accord

I remember years ago I had cars with too much play and it was possible to tighten it up but I'm not sure if the opposite can be done on the newer cars

Old 07-02-15, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Have you had the alignment checked? In my town there is a family owned tire shop and many of them are into racing and they will adjust the handling to your wants. My wife's Z was quite twitchy (got it used). I talked to them a few minutes and up on the stand. The car made three test drives and three trips back for more adjustments until the mechanic finally said "give that a try". The sporty handling was still there but the straight line stability was much improved and turns much more predictable.

Old 07-02-15, 02:21 PM
No, I haven't checked the alignment but I will. My concern is the fact that any slight movement of the steering wheel is transferred immediately to the wheels and it's very difficult to relax at all while driving.

Old 07-02-15, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It may not apply to the CRV, but I remember older cars, if the ball joints were leaning too far forward, it would exhibit erratic quick movement of the wheels. Maybe Igor can chime in on this. I'll message him.

Old 07-02-15, 04:41 PM
For starters, I do not see much wrong with steering not having a lot of dead center play. That's GM domain, they do it. I also have Ridgeline and had 2004 CR-V and steering was fine.
But anyhow. OP, you have electrical steering. That being said, it's pretty much digital and as such, may be adjusted. It's question of reprogramming it.
I also do strongly suggest going back to dealer and trying out 2 more of the same year, for comparison. Then you may determine, if you have an odd case to be fixed or, they are ALL the same and then you simply get used to it.
Btw, camber and tire pressure will have tremendous impact on steering behavior.

Old 07-02-15, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I will check it out at the dealers

Old 07-02-15, 09:40 PM
I suspect that this may be more an issue of the steering feeling different compared to what you were previously driving; especially if the previous vehicle used a worm gear steering box or had high miles on it.

If the alignment is checked attention should be paid to the caster specifications as caster is really what can have an effect on steering feel.

Old 07-03-15, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you sit in this vehicle any different? One time I drove my old jeep in some extremely cold weather [for the south] and thought something was wrong the front suspension/steering. Turns out I was hunched over the steering wheel which accentuated any input I gave it. Once the heater kicked in I figured it out