Auto A/C running ???

Old 07-06-15, 12:56 PM
Auto A/C running ???

Well I was told that I had a problem with my ac, but was going to cost $1500 to repair. Since the car is old and on its last leg anyway, I decided to just add the refrigerant on occassion. Before, when the compressor turned on, it was loud. Now I am not sure if it just got quieter or isn't kicking on at all. I do get cold air thoygh when the ac is on, so does that mean that the compressor is working? In other words if the compressor was not working would I feel the cold air or would it just be hot air. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-15, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
If the compressor wasn't running you would get warm or room temperature air.

If you have the car running and you turn the A/C on you should hear a loud click from the compressor and the engine should change speed.

Old 07-06-15, 01:20 PM
ok.. Thanks. I am getting cold air.. I also do hear a click and there is a change in the engine speed. The click isn't quite as loud as I remeber from last year, so I thought maybe the compressor finally bit the radish too!!! Maybe I am ok then and it is still ok (for now) since I am getting cold air... Thanks for your response...

Old 07-07-15, 03:56 PM
You OK for now. When adding freon, make sure you buy one that has conditioner and oil in it.

Old 07-08-15, 11:05 AM
Unless there are signs of an oil leak I wouldn't be adding more oil!