Transmission/Alternator issues?

Old 07-08-15, 04:41 PM
Transmission/Alternator issues?

Hello I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire with a 2.2L engine and a sealed automatic transmission. Recently (at random times) a traction light comes on that says TRAC OFF and when this comes on it starts kicking into gear extremely hard and resists shifting as time goes on around 5 mins after the light comes on random dash lights start to flicker randomly and it shuts off. After restarting 90% of the time its 100% fine sometimes it takes a bit for the trac light to turn off but it drives fine after restart. Iv done a bit of research and most sources say the alternator is going bad but others say it could be the transmission. Any ideas?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-15, 05:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see how it would be the alternator. Does it throw any codes? What about the check engine light? Maybe auto zone can check the codes.

Old 07-08-15, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
I would lean more towards a transmission issue although the random lights issue has me puzzled.

I would think that if it was an alternator problem the battery would go dead.

In reading up on this problem I found two possibilities.
1) There is a wiring harness inside the transmission that can intermittently short to the case.
2) Defective/intermittent transmission input speed sensor or output speed sensor.

Have the car checked for codes but they may not be able to read transmission codes. You may have to go to a transmission place for that.

Old 07-08-15, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reply's, and I too was leaning toward transmission but thought of alternator because of the dimming headlights and flickering dash lights, but other than that trac off light their is nothing no check engine light ill stop by auto zone asap and see what they can do.

Old 07-08-15, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
An alternator could cause flickering/dimming headlights but doesn't usually affect the dash lights.

Old 07-09-15, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would also look for codes and check for loose grounds.