2000 Chevy Impala: spark plugs stuck

Old 07-25-15, 09:55 PM
2000 Chevy Impala: spark plugs stuck

I am a single mom I've spent 1300$on trying to fix my vehicle Chevy impala 2000 3.8liter the spark plugs and wires need changed but they wanted to charge several hours of labor I tried getting the spark plug out but it is severely stuck I'm desperate please any ideas??? Also how in the world do you get to the back 3 plugs when their way in bank of engine and if their stuck oh man!? My weight lifting son couldn't even get them off the spark plugs I mean

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-15, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Hate to tell you, but they are probably there to stay without the work of a shop. Plugs have a tendency to weld themselves to the heads. If they do break loose, they often take the threads in the heads with them. The heads then have to be drilled out and Helicoils installed.

It's a 15 y/o car. Put new wires on an see how it runs. You can try some PB Blaster applied over a few days, it may help.

For future reference, some people break the plugs loose at regular intervals just to prevent this.

The Mazda Tribute I had required you to remove the intake manifold and injection system to change the back plugs. Yours could be similar. Autozone has repair guides online for most cars.

If I ever buy another car, I will absolutely be checking on issues like this. A while back we had questions about a Toyota redesign. It drove just the price of an oil change through the roof.

Old 07-26-15, 03:54 AM
I agree . PB Blaster on the plugs + time .

I replaced plugs on Wife's 1996 Lumina 3.1l . Front plugs not easy , back plugs very bad .

If you can not remove the plugs , see how it runs with just new wires .

How many miles on the plugs ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 07-26-15, 05:26 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If PB Blaster doesn't help, put some transmission fluid, in a squirt can & shoot it around the plugs.

Old 07-26-15, 05:59 AM
I have similar issue on wife's RX300. Dealership charges $542 pre tax to do rear plugs. It's transverse V6 tilted towards firewall. Yours is likely similar in overall engine bay location. Rear plugs are technically prevented from easy access by plenum and throttle body and manual says to have plenum removed to the tune of above mentioned $$.
I figured that I can simply remove air intake hose, loosen throttle body and scoot if a bit to obtain enough clearance to get my hands behind and do them in about 40 minutes, cussing and some odd extension combinations. But it's 40 minutes vs $542+tax.
I have NEVER had plugs stuck to the point I could not remove them. Worked on all kinds of cars since 1991. Worse to worse, a cheat bar and good grip does the trick.
Is it safe to presume that it's the first time sparks are attempted to be replaced? in 15 years?

Old 07-26-15, 12:55 PM
OP, forgot to say. Mobile mechanics are normally much more feasible than shops or dealersips.

Old 07-26-15, 01:59 PM
If PB Blaster doesn't help, put some transmission fluid, in a squirt can & shoot it around the plugs.
Ever try ATF and acetone? Lots of different opinions on the web. I tried it years ago changing out a U bolt on the leaf springs on my truck and the nuts came off. I don't know.

Old 07-26-15, 02:57 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I have heard of mixing ATF with kerosene. I imaging acetone would do the same. ATF can work miracles, on a lot of things.

Old 07-26-15, 04:01 PM
100% sure your turning them in the right direction? Lefty loosey.(counter clockwise)
The back ones will take a swivel socket or U joint.

Old 07-27-15, 01:41 AM
On Wife's 1996 Lumina 3.1l V-6 , among other things , I removed the " dog bone " motor mount / braces , up from ( by the radiator ) . Used a 1 x 4 to pry / rotate the engine forward .

This gave me a little more room between the fire wall & the back side of the engine . To try to get at the back 3 plugs .

After you get the plugs out & are ready to install the new ones . Use a length of small rubber hose like fuel line . Slip one end over the tip of the spark plug , where then boot / electric connect is located . Use this as a flexible tool to get the spark plug started inn the threads in the head .

If the threads of the plugs are not factory coated with anti seize , be sure to apply some on the threads .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread