Chrysler 300 Trunk Won't Raise on its own.

Old 08-02-15, 06:48 AM
Chrysler 300 Trunk Won't Raise on its own.

I have 2007 Chrysler 300 that has an automatic trunk lid release feature. A quick re wiring a year ago fixed the electric release switch, and it still works, but the trunk will not "Pop Up' any more without help. My wife has to go to the rear of the car, and hit trunk release while lifting the lid manually. I see a coil spring that is probabably supposed to do that, but it appears to be attached to the car in the center of the coil, but it is loose at the outward end, not attached to anything. If the outward end is supposed to be attached, what is it attached to?

thanks!

WML13

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-15, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
There are several types of latches used. A picture would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Is this what you have ?

Name:  latch.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  36.5 KB

Old 08-02-15, 09:20 AM
Trunk Lid

Pete,

If you look at your picture you can see where the outward connector of the spring coil is attached to the latch. There is a part of a stamping for the latch that is designed for this end of the spring. My latch has no such part of the latch stamping, and the spring end on mine is just suspended in mid air. I think something is just gone. I am searching for my camera, and will try to send a photo, but I haven't had much luck attaching photos in the past.

I think I am going to have to get another latch from what I see from your post regardless.

Thanks!

Bill

Old 08-02-15, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
I put an arrow in the picture. That's the point where the hatch hits that spring.

Pics from a camera phone are too big and must be resized smaller. The board limit is 50Kb file size..... roughly 600x600. A camera pic can be 2-3Mb and 2000x3000.

Name:  latch.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  33.6 KB

Old 08-02-15, 12:21 PM
I think his latch is OK. He is talking about lid lift assist mechanism. Never saw a latch that will lift a trunk lid.
How about those?

http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-6405.../dp/B001DCJ42E

Old 08-02-15, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Igor, I think the problem is the latch lift mechanism, which is shown is not getting it cleared of the latch to where the lift arms will take over.

Old 08-02-15, 02:25 PM
while lifting the lid manually. I see a coil spring that is probabably supposed to do that

I guess I think too linear about what i read. Reads like "supposed to do lifting".

Old 08-02-15, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One of my helpers drives a towncar (gotta review their pay), and his wasn't broken, just crudded up to where the "pop" wouldn't put it in position for the lift arms to react.