2000 Toyota Camry, timing belt/ Blower for AC, heat

Old 08-05-15, 05:21 PM
2000 Toyota Camry, timing belt/ Blower for AC, heat

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry and with 53224 miles and was told it probably will need a timing,was quoted $500.00, does that sound right?, Also the blower is going, it works but making a loud noise when AC is on high, what price is reasonable for replacing this also. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-15, 06:36 PM
Timing belts are normally done at higher mileage than that. You need to look up your particular year maintenance schedule. When they do timing belt, replace water pump, tensioner and idler.

Old 08-05-15, 06:46 PM
$500 for just the timing belt replacement sounds pretty high to me. As I recall the last time I had it done on my 1997 Camry the cost was around $350 and that included replacing the water pump. Of course it MAY make a difference if you have a different engine than I, mine is the 2.2 liter four cylinder model. As I recall Toyota recommends changing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. I let it go the first time and at about 80k it jumped some teeth and had to be towed to the shop.

Old 08-06-15, 03:31 AM
Thanks

Thought it might be a bit high, have the same engine, thanks again....

Old 08-06-15, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Think when I did my wife's previous Camry ('01), it took me about 2 hours start to finish and the Gates kit, including water pump, was less than $75. Furd's $350 figure, I think, would be about right at a shop.

Replacement interval is 90,000 miles. Also it is not an interference engine, so worst case with a broken belt is a tow bill and inconvenience of being stranded, but no engine damage.

80k would be a good compromise, so you're a year or two away depending on your driving.

Old 08-07-15, 03:57 AM
Do not know about your car , but I have been checking prices for a timing belt kit for our car . Around $ 200 . Go online and check the price of the parts . Use that as a guide line .

Also , look for you tube videos to give you an idea what is involved .

God bless
Wyr

Old 08-07-15, 05:08 AM
I'm sure the timing belt has a mileage/time expiration on it.

It may be under the mileage but if it is the original belt it may well be over the time limit.

It may not be an interference engine but I can guarantee you it will break at the most in-opportune time and cost you needless money/pain/suffering to get it fixed out on the road somewhere.

Good luck

Old 08-07-15, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
But then he calls a tow truck!

Good point, I was looking only mileage and didn't catch the age (is it really 2015?).

$200 for a timing belt kit? Yowza! Must be dealership OEM. Or maybe a V6 with more parts/higher priced belt?

Old 08-07-15, 06:16 AM
thanks, good idea. I'll check it out

Old 08-07-15, 04:02 PM
I went out to the car and looked at the invoice and it turns out I lied. $350 for labor and $160 for the belt making a total of $512. Another $89 for the water pump but no additional labor charge. I will add that I had this work done at a tire company owned service center and I have subsequently found out that this particular facility has very high labor rates as well as high costs for parts.

The first time I had it done at a Toyota dealership and they charged $42 for the timing belt, $4 for a tension spring and $131 for labor. They then decided the head gasket was leaking and that total came to $960 for parts and labor. They then wrote that I had said there was an oil leak (not true) and they decided an oil seal was shot and that came to $279 including 20 bucks for the pan gasket even though I had already been charged $185 for a complete engine gasket set. Needless to say, I have never returned to that dealership for anything.

The financial gurus always tell a person to ask friends and associates for a recommendation for almost any kind of repair shop or contractor but what happens when none of your friends ever has had to use a repair shop or the one's they have used have gouged them seriously? Truth is, unless you have the time to investigate several shops, dealers, contractors or whatever there really is NO way to know in advance. That is probably the primary reason why I DIY so much of what I need done.

Oh, several years ago that tire company shop advised me to replace the radiator hoses. They wanted something like $130 each including the hose itself. They also wanted to change out my CV joints and axles because there was a tear in one of the rubber boots. Well, several years later and I am still on the factory hoses and axles/CV joints. The last time I had my oil changed (at a local gas station/car wash/lube center I was told that the hoses were fine and while they recommended a transmission flush that everything else was fine, including the air and fuel filters. Sometimes I think these shops just see a sucker when he (or especially, she) walks through the door and just sticks them for as much as they think they can get away with.

Old 08-08-15, 01:04 AM
List: Search for 'timing belt component kit' | O'Reilly Auto Parts

It is significantly cheaper at rockauto.com . But I can not get a link to work .

I realize it should be several years before it becomes an issue , but I have been doing research .

God bless
Wyr

Old 08-09-15, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
That $249 for timing belt and water pump would be about a 300% markup.

Old 08-10-15, 01:27 AM
Rockauto.com has them cheaper . The kits include the idler and tensioner .

Some engines have the water pump driven off the timing belt . The 1.8l GM engine looks like it is driven off of the serpentine belt .

So , I do not see the necessity of changing it , unless it is defective . However , it the person intends to keep the car for a lot longer , it might not be a bad idea to get the water pump in the kit . Looks to be cheaper than buying it individually , at a latter date .

Do you know of a vendor cheaper than rockauto.com ? If so , please enlighten us . Would be good to know .

God bless
Wyr

Old 08-10-15, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
Rock Auto has about the lowest prices, but don't know how the bottom line matches up with shipping/handling. I got my last kit (AC-Delco) from Amazon with Amazon Prime free shipping @ $74.32.

Old 08-10-15, 05:12 AM
sometimes ebay or amazon can have a better price.
if your are taking it to a shop to have it done best to check prices at your local parts stores as that is likely where the shop will get its parts.

Old 08-10-15, 05:33 AM
Think Chevy recommends the belt be replaced at 97,500 miles on the 1.8l . Hopefully the price will come down by the time that rolls around .

Someone told me , or 3 years . Have not found that in writing ?

Thanks , :-)
God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread