1991 Caprice 5.0l Pinion Seal

Old 08-06-15, 03:22 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1991 Caprice 5.0l Pinion Seal

Need to replace a leaky seal . Local supply house listed 2 different seals . Bought both . They said I could bring back the one I did not end up using .

Best I remember , I will need to drop the drive shaft , remove the pinion nut , remove the yoke and remove the seal .

I have a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench . I hope it has enough power to remove the nut , after a spray with PB Blaster and a little time .

How difficult is the yoke to remove ? I have a puller . Again , I plan to spray with PB Blaster .

When I replace the seal , do I need to put a light coat of Permatex on the metal perimeter of the seal , where it fits into the differential housing ?

When I replace the nut , any one know the torque spec ?

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Old 08-06-15, 05:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I haven't touched a pinion, in 40 years. I doubt the electric impact gun will remove the nut. They have a hard enough time removing lug nuts. You shouldn't need Permatex. I don't know the torque spec.

Old 08-07-15, 03:43 AM
W
Supprisenly enough , this electric impact ( even though kind of big and bulky ) seems to have a fair amount of power .

I have an air impact , but would have to wheel the compressor out of storage . :-(

God bless
Wyr

Old 08-09-15, 08:45 PM
You are not going to find a set torque spec for that pinion nut. How loose or tight your pinion nut is directly affects pinion bearing pre-load. You will either need an inch pound torque wrench to measure "rolling torque" before you begin per service information OR (easiest method IMO) mark your pinion nut with an awl or paint marker and tighten it exactly where it was before you removed it.

I don't know if your electric impact will remove the pinion nut but you can do this manually with a breaker bar provided you have a way to hold the yoke. A good powerful impact does make this job very easy, provided you are careful with where you "set" the pinion nut.

Old 08-10-15, 01:20 AM
W
Did not get to work on the car this weekend . Ended up working on lawnmowers & mowing the front and most of the back yard .

I plan on using witness marks on the pinion , pinion nut , yoke and U-Joints . And counting threads on the end of the pinion shaft .

I have the electric impact wrench . If that does not remove the nut , I have an air impact wrench , but it is a chore to move the compressor to the front yard .

Also have a 24" break over bar .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: