Chevy Venture haunted by Jacob Marley

Old 08-10-15, 02:11 PM
Chevy Venture haunted by Jacob Marley

Iíve got an 01 Chevy Venture, and it makes this sound, like chains rattling. Not big heavy ones, but smaller ones. Itís the wifeís vehicle, so I donít know any patterns or behaviors, but she said it doesnít happen all the time. Itís got 100K+ miles, has a new starter, new belt, gets regular oil changes, and I recently replaced the oil pressure sensor - it was leaking like woah.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-15, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Time to do some basic investigating. Have her drive you around so you can focus tracking down the sound's location.

Old 10-02-15, 10:20 AM
found it. when the windshield defrost is on, the noise stops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM2IboJ2Bzg

Old 10-02-15, 11:40 AM
I canít find a diagram that accurately lists everything connected to the belt, but i think itís the a/c? The smooth wheel that the belt runs under.

Old 10-02-15, 04:11 PM
Could be a bad bearing on that idler wheel.

Old 10-03-15, 06:09 AM
If i turn on the A/C, or the defrost, the noise stops.

Old 10-03-15, 08:13 AM
i'm afraidit's your ac clutch. it's getting loose and vibrates when not under load. When ac is engaged, it's drawn towards the pulley by magnetic force and everything becomes more soli what makes noise go away.

Old 10-04-15, 12:08 PM
When you turn on the defrosters the AC is also turned on.

Old 10-05-15, 06:30 AM
So is there any way to determine if itís the clutch, the bearing, clutch plate or some other part? And whatís the difficulty on replacing these?

Old 10-05-15, 02:40 PM
Well, you sort of should get her up in the air all four, and turn engine on and crank engine run.
My safe assumption is center clutch pulley bearing is going south. Depending on vehicle configuration you can take friction plate out, then possibly get to the clutch pulley clip, remove it, slide clutch pulley off and get to the bearing.
With a lot of cussing, I had this done on Mitsu Expo LRV, and there was very little clearance, but I did it.
Hardship is - if you can not access this on vehicle, you have to remove ac comp. And miraculously, you suddenly up for major expense recharging ac system.
Also, everyone wants to sell you you entire comp assey. While all you need is bearing. So you have to remove the pulley, remove bearing, take beraing to a decent parts store and have them match it. Press it back in.
As pulley wobbles on that bearing, it also slowly starts ruining the outer friction plate. That's where the noise is coming from - pulley dangling on the friction plate.
YOur safest bet for now is to replace belt with "no AC" one for your model and simply bypass the ac comp. Winter's coming. While you figure the rest and do NOT keep damaging friction plate. As if it's bent - oops, got to replace that too.

Search this Thread