Window scratch and wiper sound.

Old 08-14-15, 07:47 PM
Window scratch and wiper sound.

Good day. I have Nissan Sentra GSX model 2010. Here are my questions.

1. I want to ask if I can still remove the scratches from my window. It looks like it came from the wiper which the path of the scratches can be seen. I have read some articles in the internet to scratch using my nails to know if the scratches were deep. I find it not that deep because my nails went smoothly.

2. When I use my wiper it was making sound like it was making small jumps from my windshield. I have replaced my wiper with a new one. After some 2 or 3 wipes, it will make sound again. What do you thin is the problem?

Some opinions and advice are very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-15, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I bought my truck it had marks on the windshield from some idiot scraping ice with something he shouldn't have, some how I didn't see the marks until after the sale was complete

I was told by an auto glass guy that jeweler's rouge [?] would remove the scratches and while it didn't help mine - that would be something to try.

How does the wiper blade sit on the glass? Does it make full even contact in all positions? Is there enough water on the glass when it's being used to lubricate the blades well?

Old 08-15-15, 07:20 AM
Replace windshield. Don't waste your time and money. Even if you magically, after hrs of work, buff scratches, you'll end up in lens effect in that area and that actually is more annoying than scratches.
Keep wiper blades clean and new. Old ones collect dirt particles in them and become abrasive=scratched glass.
Wiper blades jump on glass because blades arm is slightly bent and blades do not sit plumb on the glass. It's fixed with channel locks grabbing the arm and twisting it here and there till blades sit plumb.

Old 08-17-15, 10:31 PM
I need some alternative solutions other than changing my windshield. It costs me much but will do if no more other options can be made.

Old 08-18-15, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are only two ways to remove the scratches; buff them out or replace the glass. You might stop at an automotive glass shop and have them look it at. They will know the viability of buffing it out.

Old 08-18-15, 06:53 AM
Seriously - I tried buffing out windshield last year. I shall never ever do it again. I, also, buffed surfaces you look through before, and every time it ends in change of optical medium characteristics, creating lens effect, and that is super annoying.
I "get it" that it costs money to replace windshield. But it will cost much more to attempt failed fix and then pay for replacement.
Look on local craigslist. Find inexpensive independent. We pay for replacements between 120 and 190 bucks. That's not that much, really. Wish you were local to me, I could have hooked you up with my guy.

Old 08-18-15, 06:08 PM
Guess I should canvass on how much do windshield cost. Thanks guys for the advice

Old 08-19-15, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you are pricing windshields, inquire about buffing as some shops will buff out scratches or fix chips with the stipulation that if the repair isn't acceptable, they will deduct the cost from the new windshield.

A lot depends on the severity and placement of the scratch to be buffed. I've buffed out a few that had no noticeable distortion.