Chrysler Air Dam

Old 08-26-15, 07:05 AM
Chrysler Air Dam

I have a Chrysler 300 (2007 Limited) that my wife has tangled with a Curb stop and torn out the holes where the 7 to 10 little bolts fasten the air dam underneath the car to the front curved part that comes down around the radiator. Can I repair those ripped out holes with the two part plastic repair compound that the commercial auto body shops sell? I would have to apply it to each torn out hole and then re drill it after it cures. It will be a bear to remove this where it is still fastened to the car, so I thought I would put it out to you guys before I buy the epoxy and start to tear it apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure how effective that will be. The repair compound may just crumble when you try to drill it.

Were there actual nuts and bolts ripped out or those plastic snap-in pieces ?
Can you use larger hardware and use a washer over the larger hole ?

Hard to offer advice without actually seeing what you are working with.

Old 08-26-15, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Several yrs ago a drunk [maybe just drugged up] idiot walked into my stepson's moving jeep and broke off the fender flare. I was able to reinstall the flare using washers and maybe drilling a new hole or two [can't remember for sure ] Not sure I'd trust epoxy alone.

Old 08-26-15, 08:27 AM
Chryler Air Dam

There are several small bolts with I think are called speed nuts. (folded over metal that slide over the plastic) holding it to the upper part of the plastic assembly. When she hit the curb stop she just tore the bolts thru the plastic hole and created ten or so ripped out holes. (they tore out sideways all along the part. not just thru the original holes) I still have the bolts and speed nuts (they remained in the lower part of the air dam)

Old 08-26-15, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember if they can be reused or not. Will using fender washers allow you to securely fasten it back in place?

Old 08-26-15, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get some fender washers, (blue or orange store will have them) glue the speed nuts to washer, Glue washer to top of tear out. doesn't have to hold well just long enough for screw to pull everything tight.

Old 08-27-15, 09:01 AM
Chrysler Air Dam

Any suggestions on what type of glue would work best for this environment?

Old 08-27-15, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
I couldn't think of any glue that would work in your situation.

A picture would still be a big help here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Something like this ?

Name:  300 belly.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  300 belly.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  6.3 KB

Old 08-28-15, 07:19 AM
Chrysler Air Dam

That is the part. All of the speed nuts (and bolts) have been ripped out of the pictured part, and are hanging in the part it was attached to that wraps around the front of the car. I am going to try some two part epoxy in the ripped out holes and see if it will hold. there is not really any tension on the part (unless of course my wife is bahaing into Walmart. That pictured part is $92.00 and the dealer has one if all else fails.

Thanks for the replies!