Goofed oil change. Now what?

Old 08-31-15, 11:49 AM
Goofed oil change. Now what?

Been changing oil for years, first time on my newish compact Toyota though.

Just going to jack it up at the front lift point, get the stands out and go to it.

Well, when I get under the car.. I can't find the lift point cited in the manual. It's either not plainly obvious, or concealed by splash guards. However, I can see the drain plug and can easily access without lifting up the car. Great! So I drain the oil, put the plug back in.. Now it's filter time. But I can't get to it as easily... I can barely see it. Though I can easily get my hand and filter wrench on it.

After all this, I learned this filter is 64mm and I have a plastic filter wrench that I think is made for slightly larger filters... I tried with the torque I could get on it from the awkward angle I was laying.. and I could just not budge this thing... the wrench would always slip off. So I figured, I'd order a 64mm steel filter wrench and let the car sit. Then do the filter when i have the better tool.

In the middle of the night it occurred to me.. I was trying to turn it in the wrong damn direction.. confused by my orientation. At this point, I'm disgusted in myself... Either way, I don't think it moved much if any.. so it was either overtightened to begin with or I couldn't get much torque.

Anyway - the steel filter wrench comes and I'm now sick in bed. Wife needs the car, so I fill it up with oil and leave the old filter.. couldn't manage the effort to deal with it.

No leaks as far as I know.. so I'm doubtful I damaged anything with the bad angle and crappy filter wrench. But I'm thinking it can wait until a week or two and I should be OK just replacing the filter and topping off the last bit of oil. Does this seem like a sound strategy? I've went changes without replacing the filter on a 5-7K dino interval, but this is a 10k synthetic.. so I'm a little more worried waiting an entire change. It is an OEM filter BTW.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
I'd spin on the new filter and top off when you get it simply because there's concern over whether the old one was damaged and may leak at the threads or something similar as result.

Old 08-31-15, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than the dirty oil in the filter and the filter itself being dirty - it doesn't hurt anything .... as long as you didn't create any leaks Change it out when you can but I wouldn't loose any sleep in the meantime.

Old 08-31-15, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be more concerned with oil drips on driveway than any damage to engine. It doesn't sound like any major leaks and probably no leaks at all.
I've owned Toyotas for over 30 years, along with Honda motorcycles, the engine will survive. I would change the filter though at every oil change in the future.
Depending on your model, it also helps to remove the skid plate when changing oil, Toyota plates seem to always be in the way of things.

Old 08-31-15, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the thoughts...

The dealer did the last one.. so I can't be sure how hard they tightened that thing down. Hopefully there's no surprises when I get around to it, though I have to imagine the filter would take the brunt before the engine would.

I know oil and probably the filters too SHOULD last much, much longer than the intervals. More sure about the oil than the filter though..

Of course it was my own laziness.. not lifting the car which left me with the ****ty angle PLUS using the cheapo plastic tool -- if I had the metal filter wrench which locks in like a glove, I'm pretty sure I'd know tight vs. loose because I would've hopefully got some kind of tactile result with my efforts.

Old 08-31-15, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the dealer installed the existing filter, it should not be tight and probably will not give you a problem. Oil filters are kinda like plumbing, tighter is not better and the mechanics know that.
An oil pan is the same, it doesn't need to be torqued down or it will leak. Please don't ask how I know this

Old 08-31-15, 02:04 PM
Get a set of ramps. Done deal !! ............

Old 08-31-15, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
FYI for the others, but I'm assuming that's one of the cartridge-type filters and not a spin-on. Daughter has one of those on her 2009 Corolla and I had to buy the filter wrench first time I changed hers and it was TIGHT. Before springing for the wrench (AutoZone) I tried a strap wrench with zero success. Why they changed from spin-on to cartridge I have no idea except probably cheaper to produce/install on the assembly line.

And second the ramp suggestion.

Name:  9_8_2012_4_09_58_pm.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  16.9 KB

Old 08-31-15, 04:47 PM
Many years ago, had a bad experience with ramps. I guess the surface was too smooth and/or they weren't aligned up perfectly... but man, that one ramp skidded off and shot away like a missile. God forbid if someone was standing there.

Old 08-31-15, 05:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm assuming that's one of the cartridge-type filters
Got it. I can see now how this could be a problem. Why these manufacturers change something that has worked forever I will never know.

Old 09-01-15, 04:29 AM
We should not have to "assume" what year/make/model is being discussed nor what type of filter.

We do not have crystal balls and life is too short to try to fill in the missing information.

Every post should begin with make/year/model/engine-transmission option so we all know what we are talking about.

Old 09-01-15, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Compact Toyota means "Corolla" to me.

Old 09-01-15, 04:01 PM
You'll be fine , but I would like to see the filter changed asap. The only draw back is that you now have clean oil mixing with old oil. Not a big problem especially since you stated your using all syn.

Old 09-07-15, 11:06 AM
I made a mountain out of a mole hill.. as they say.

For anyone who thinks they may have a smaller filter (64mm), I highly recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-2485-64-Mi.../dp/B006VMXMJ2 after you confirm the 64mm measurement.

This thing fits on the filter like a damn glove... you basically have to destroy the old filter to get it off.. so don't install your new filter with it, or else it'll probably stay on until you go to change it again.

An idiot-proof note I learned.. I also recommend using a ratchet and setting the wrench in the appropriate direction before crawling under the car, so you know it's going in the right direction. Sometimes things aren't so obvious when you are laid down, contorted, etc.

Anyway, that thing was on tight.. but not end of the world tight. In all likelihood, as I suspected originally, the old plastic "universal" filter wasn't doing jack.. in fact, it is perfect for tightening the new filter because you can barely get any torque on it.

Tragedy averted.

Old 09-07-15, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have several of those types of filter sockets, they come in different sizes and different configurations each one made to snugly fit various filters. Some filters they fit real tight on where you have to beat it off the end while others will just pull right off.

I also recommend using a ratchet and setting the wrench in the appropriate direction before crawling under the car, so you know it's going in the right direction. Sometimes things aren't so obvious when you are laid down, contorted
We've all gotten confused as to the direction when under the vehicle before

Old 09-09-15, 02:42 PM
I use the Purolator plus filter. Love the fact that it has a rough outside for the whole filter, never needed a wrench myself after the first oil change after buying a car. Granted on some cars, it would help to have two elbows.

Old 09-09-15, 02:57 PM
This thing fits on the filter like a damn glove... you basically have to destroy the old filter to get it off.. so don't install your new filter with it, or else it'll probably stay on until you go to change it again.
I don't think you've ever seen a really tight filter before. I've used that type filter socket many times too and when I ran across a really tight filter it wouldn't budge it.

Old 09-09-15, 03:10 PM
The original post never verified if we are talking about a spin-on or cartridge type filter.

I still don't know ......

Old 09-10-15, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Cartridge, but I had to use my psychic powers to discern that.