2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Service Engine Soon Light

Old 09-16-15, 03:29 PM
2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Service Engine Soon Light

This afternoon I stopped at a store and turned off my vehicle. After I was done in the store, I started my vehicle and it jutted or stuttered. I then put it in reverse and then the car did the same thing, not as bad though and just died. I started it up again and it was acting like it was struggling to start but it started. After I started it this time, the Service Engine Soon light came on and did not go off. I took the vehicle to AutoZone to get a reading on the light and this is the information they gave me:

Code - P0010

Description: Intake camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid circuit bank 1.

Explanation: The ECM has detected a fault in the camshaft actuator solenoid circuit bank 1.

Possible Problems:

- Open or short circuit condition bank 1 actuator solenoid circuit

- Failed actuator solenoid bank 1

- ECM fault

I'm not the most literate automotive guy but given my vehicle's "symptoms" and this information, are there some DIY actions I can take to possibly resolve the issues or should I take it to a trusted mechanic?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-15, 03:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Being an outdated mechanic, I might take a chance & replace the solenoid.

Old 09-16-15, 03:43 PM
I apologize for my ignorance but is this easy to DIY? Is it costly?

Old 09-16-15, 04:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would think that it could be a DIY job. I'm sure that there is a video on youtube that will show you how it's done.

Old 09-16-15, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
This will give you a general idea. Not sure it's DIY for other than intermediate-skilled DIY-er.

https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...8_1836695.html

Old 09-16-15, 04:47 PM
Something else I noticed. I have remote start on my key fob and it isn't working but I can start it via ignition. Does that provide any further clues?

Old 09-16-15, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
IIRC auto start will not work if the SES light is on.

Start it again (perhaps a cold start) and see if the problem persists. Codes can get triggered for many reasons I would not jump into changing parts quite yet. See if it keeps happening and if you did not, have the error code cleared. If the issue is still there, the same code will come back.

Old 09-22-15, 12:55 PM
You are correct about remote start. I actually took it in for routine maintenance (oil change) and before I went in the light went off. Asked the dealer mechanics about it and they stated not to worry about it if the light went off.

Yesterday, I was leaving and the car did the same thing. Started, acted like it wanted to die, jutted and jerked and then simply died. The vehicle was a difficult to start but eventually it did and the light came back on.

I took it directly to the dealer afterward and their reader couldn't pick up a code on it but the mechanic could feel the engine and then estimated that it was the camshaft actuator solenoid, which was one of the things listed on the printout I got. He said it would only cost a few hundred to replace but they are 2 weeks backed up now. They cleared the code and sent me on my way.

I called another mechanic and they said that the light needs to come back on but they can have me in and out after replacing the part.

Any input on this?

Old 09-23-15, 11:26 AM
Did you take your car to a Chevrolet dealer? An emission item may be covered by the warranty!

Old 09-23-15, 02:33 PM
Yes, that is where I took it but my vehicle has 80,000 miles on it so I'm sure I'm SOL on the warranty.

Old 09-23-15, 02:50 PM
Dig out your emissions warranty folder and be sure of it!