Rust repairs on 02 Mazda body - Tips?

Old 09-23-15, 04:10 PM
Rust repairs on 02 Mazda body - Tips?

Hi,

I have an 02 Mazda Protege which has begun to show rust in a few places. I decided to try to make it look better, so ground and wire brushed the rusted areas as best I could. Then sprayed with rust treatment and sprayed with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of custom touchup mixed at the local auto shop. The car looks much better and I hope that it will last a few more years and look ok. However, I have a few questions that I could use help with.
1. Did I do the right thing or was there a better procedure to follow?
2. There are a few places that have small holes where the metal is rusted through and one hole in a corner of the door. It turns out that some of the rusted areas had been bondoed from a previous accident, and the bondo seems to have sped up the rusting process!

I've thought about simply putting some clear packing tape over the holes and then spraying with the touchup paint. Alternatively, I've considered using foam to fill and then painting the foam. I just want the car to look reasonably ok; It doesn't have to look new, just not have large rust spots. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
IK

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 05:38 PM
Got some pictures?
Last things I would use is packing tape, and foam, never even would have crossed my mind.
Bondo does not speed up rusting.

Old 09-23-15, 06:45 PM
Just trying to be creative. The tape worked great for a crack in a headlight one time and used foam on an old pickup to fill spaces. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Old 09-24-15, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The main thing is to remove all the rust before applying fiberglass, bondo and/or primer!

Packing tape reminded me of a rust bucket I bought in fla. It was an out of state car [Pennsylvania?] and it had painted duct tape covering all the rust holes. They guy I bought it from said it wouldn't pass that state's inspection if there were holes but tape and paint was acceptable Needless to say I replaced the tape with sheetmetal and bondo.

Old 09-24-15, 07:08 AM
Packing tape, huh....
OP, for deep caverns and through holes you need to
1. get rid of rust completely, even if it meant to enlarge the areas. Rusts spreads even if the smallest speck of it is left.
2. treat areas with rust inhibitor. Plenty available. Eg, marine jelly
3. buy quite inexpensive piece of fiberglass cloth from parts store along with some resin.
4. soak suitable size fiberglass patch in resin and apply to well roughened reapir area, being generous on overlap. 2 layers may be advised.
5. let it harden
6. sand, prime, paint.
Bondo will peel off. Tape will peel off. Metal moves as you drive. Fiberglass patch has enough flex in it and enough purchase area to stay in place.

Old 09-24-15, 08:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't recall ever having bondo come loose unless there was more damage [either rust or dent] While I use fiberglass from time to time IMO nothing beats replacing the rusted metal with new metal [brazed in place]

Old 09-24-15, 09:16 AM
Here are some photos. Unpainted spots were treated with spray on rust treatment (supposed to bind and turn black). Looks like it didn't work as well as it looked yesterday. I was hoping to do something quick. I have done fiberglass + bondo before but was hoping to avoid the trouble. I don't have the tools for filling with sheet metal.Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  48.0 KBName:  Image00002.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  42.1 KBName:  Image00003.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  50.0 KBName:  Image00004.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 09-24-15, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fiberglass matt and resin will be ok if you can get it all down to shiny metal. How clean the metal is will determine how well the patch will hold. It's normally better to remove too much metal than leave rusty metal under the repair. If you have access to the back side of the hole slop some resin on it to help seal the fiberglass from the back.