2009 Cadilac CTS running light bulb replacement

Old 09-28-15, 12:00 PM
2009 Cadilac CTS running light bulb replacement

I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and the left running light is out. When I looked under the hood and removed a black plastic cover there was still no clear way to get to the back of the light package. Is there a guide somewhere to show how to get to the bulb?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-15, 02:01 PM
If this looked anything like yours, you have to remove the whatever the black box is there. At least. Not sure what you call the 'left" side - passenger or driver.

http://www.carparts.com/roadtests/ca...ges/Engine.jpg

Old 09-28-15, 06:14 PM
NJT
I don't know this for certain, I've not worked on a CTS, but many of the newer cars require that the bumper skin (fascia) be removed, to get to the screws that hold the headlight assembly, then the headlight assembly comes out to change the bulbs. OR --- You may have to get to it from inside the wheel well, which might mean removing the inner splash guard, which means jacking the car and removing the wheel.

I can't understand why they can't design access hatches for this kind of thing.

Old 09-28-15, 06:20 PM
NJT
I just googled it... yeah, have fun!

This is what you have to do just to get to the headlight housing to remove and replace the bulbs.

Old 09-29-15, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
I feel your pain. Noticed yesterday I have a front turn signal bulb out on my '95 Cavalier. Not quite so bad as in NJT's pic but still have to remove part of wheel well liner or skid panel underneath to access. Real intelligent engineering.

Old 09-29-15, 07:59 AM
Self-fullfilling prophecy?

I once joked that it was getting to the point that to change a headlight, the first thing you would need to do is remove the rear bumper. Looks like we're headed that way.

Either that or cars will become disposable!

Old 09-29-15, 03:56 PM
I was contemplating Escalade today, parked in our garage. Has identical headlight shape and set up. My gut tells me, simple fender well cover removal in the front will clear access to the light bulbs. This is very un-GM to make light bulb changes that hard. They always had them as snap job.

Old 09-29-15, 05:55 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I will consider removing the fender well cover. Otherwise, this becomes a $500 light bulb change. I wonder if GM would like that kind of publicity, especially in light of recent incidents.

Old 09-29-15, 06:36 PM
When you get that fascia removed and access to the lamp(s) you may want to consider replacing both sides at the same time with LED lamps that won't burn out.

This is a job I would only want to do ONCE

Old 09-29-15, 06:43 PM