Best place for jack/stands

Old 10-05-15, 10:56 AM
Best place for jack/stands

So Iíve been under a car quite a bit lately. One of these days Iím going to purchase a floor jack. The jack that came with the vehicles have very specific places it can be used. If Iím off by an inch or so, the metal on the car bends, but it gives me a more secure stand position, when i lower the jack. A floor jack is not going to have the same connections that the vehicle jacks do (one has a slot, the other a small sphere/dome).

Where is the best place to lift using a floor jack, and the best place for the jack stand?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-15, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
That's an almost impossible question to answer. It's different on every vehicle.

Try posting a make and model and perhaps someone can offer specific advice.

I have a full size van, with a full frame, so I can put the jack stands under the frame. I usually jack the rear of the vehicle from under the axle tube near the brake caliper. I jack the front under the lower control arm.

Old 10-05-15, 11:51 AM
Check your owner's manual as some do actually contain that information, and, if that doesn't work, you may find it in a Haynes or other such manual.

Old 10-05-15, 11:51 AM
I have an '00 Chevy S-10 and an í01 Chevy Venture

Old 10-05-15, 02:21 PM
While we on it.
1st, for trucks, you have to set jack under the frame. Venture is a truck based van, right? In law has Express, it's no different underneath from Silverado. Oh, not to forget. I used rear differential as center attachment point for hydraulic jack quite a few times. Did same on Express. Worked fine, though a bit wobbly side to side. But it lifts entire rear end up in the air level, then you can slide regular jacks under the frame. My hydraulic jack otherwise runs out of lifting height if set under the frame in the rear. Used control arms too.
2ndly, here's a great suggestion for you and anyone else. I found this jack to be phenomenal. I bought one local Tractor Supply for $27. The only jack that really worked for my then Ridgeline:

Powerbuilt 3 Ton All-in-One Jack - For Life Out Here

It's combination of both jack and hydraulic jack. Also, Jack part can be pre-set at various height and THEN hydraulic part pumps it up. So for tall frame vehicles like trucks it works beautiful.

Old 10-05-15, 03:14 PM
yes, venture is on a truck frame. My s-10 frame is only 9 inches off the ground, so that new-fangled jack wonít work. Nifty toy, though! Did i read that right? You used the differential to lift your truck? Doesnít that invite whole host of possible problems?

So, in short, frame is best for jack and stands?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-15, 07:57 PM
Yes on both counts. Frame. Just be careful not to get close to the area where it starts curving up.
I lifted Silverado via differential MANY times. Get it up, put jacks under frame, ready for work. I never held it up in the air by diff only.
Diff is quite rugged actually. It's one of those parts that sticks out to rocks and what not. It's made tough.

Old 10-06-15, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've almost always used the diff with a floor jack on trucks and rear wheel drive cars. It's a quick/easy way to lift the rear of the vehicle. You do not want to crawl under the vehicle with it jacked up that way!! Also be sure to block the front tires so the vehicle can't roll when you raise the rear off of the ground! I often place the jack stands under the axle housing.

Old 10-06-15, 10:53 AM
Heres a few pictures. Shouldíve put something next to the jack for scale. Itís about 14Ē long. And Iíd put the stands where Iíd normally use the scissor jack?

I just donít want to kill my wifeís car...

Name:  IMG_7029.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  51.4 KB

Do these look like good jack points?
Front

Name:  IMG_7033.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  16.4 KB

Rear
Name:  IMG_7032.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 10-06-15, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without a load does that trolley jack go up high enough? I have used a block of wood on the saddle or 2x lumber under the jack when the jack didn't have enough reach. Care needs to be used when doing so!!!

It should be ok to use those points for the jack or jack stands. On my wife's merc I found jacking off the bottom of the shock works best.

Old 10-06-15, 01:59 PM
Same Question for Toyota Camry 2003 and 2011 Sienna

After reading this thread I have same question for Toyota Camry 2003 and 2011 Toyota Sienna. I tried to google it but could not find any picture as below
Name:  0996b43f80230dda.jpg
Views: 12553
Size:  44.9 KB