Starting to hate my Camry

Old 10-11-15, 02:02 PM
Starting to hate my Camry

Bought a 2012 XLE with 27K miles earlier this year. Beautiful looking car BUT:

First the tire pressure light goes on. On line, I have seen every possible combination for the four unlabeled tire icons on the display. I give up.

Even worse is my first attempt at changing the frickin oil. Who the hell designs cars today with cartridge oil filters? What were they thinking? Anyway, all was going well until I tried to remove the cartridge holder can. Long story short, I tried every way I could think of and could not budge the &*#@ thing. Even bought the $20.00 cup type thing from Toyota that goes over the cartridge holder. Even used a three foot pipe with the ratchet for leverage, could not budge it. And I had to put in 6 qt of synthetic oil with a dirty filter so I could move the damn car. Anyone have the same experience. I am livid!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-15, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have the same vehicle but I was reading 100's of complaints from people that do.

Some suggested jacking up the car, removing the right front wheel, inner splash panel and then using large channel lock pliers.

Others suggested a strap wrench, the end of the cover socket and some have even taken the filter and oil to Toyota for the first oil change.

Old 10-11-15, 03:22 PM
Temporarily Suspended
First the tire pressure light goes on. On line, I have seen every possible combination for the four unlabeled tire icons on the display. I give up.
Four tires? Guess what! You have five tires. The low pressure light reads the spare tire too.

Old 10-11-15, 04:11 PM
There should be a center screw in oil filter cap. It releases oil from the filter housing.
Here's what you. As I have 2012 Highlander with same filter and none of this hassle.
Btw, is that all it takes for you to HATE a car? Those are grand cars.
Anyway.
Take that cap off and replace with this:
2007-2013 Toyota Camry Oil Filter Housing Cap - Dorman 917-016 - - PartsGeek.com
They, or similar, are sold in any parts store.
THEN you HAND TIGHT it. No tools. Loosens like a champ.
As of the air pressure sensor. It's either the spare or simply reset lights. There should be reset switch in glove compartment. Or, one of the sensors battery went bad.

Old 10-11-15, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is a tire pressure light reset procedure.
You may find that the light appears with changes in the season, or just because a tire may be a few pounds low.
With ignition off, inflate all tires to correct pressure when cold. Turn ignition on, but do not start. Open glove box, and to the left of the glove box, hidden down under a little lip, is a reset button. Press and hold the button until the Tire Pressure light blinks slowly 3 times. Release reset button and turn inition off. Start engine and drive vehicle. If light is still on, it should go out after a few miles.

Old 10-11-15, 05:25 PM
Lots of cars with cartridge filters out there, where have you been hiding ?? Many are a pain.

You should be able to get a spin-on oil filter adaptor for your car. I know I would get one.

When the weather gets cooler the TPMS will show low pressure .. keep your tires inflated.

Old 10-11-15, 07:24 PM
But the dash display only shows four tire icons. Where's the fifth icon?

Old 10-11-15, 07:27 PM
No problem getting center screw in the oil filter cap off. I'm talking about the can that holds the cartridge.

Old 10-11-15, 08:59 PM
I get it. Someone used a tool of a sort to tighten the cap. And, most likely, you have 16 I believe sided cap. As the result, they over torqued it. Once again, use large channels locks or what ever to take it off, making sure you turning the right way, and retrofit with one I sent you link to. Then simply hand tight it. Cheap metal cap removal tool you buy at say Autozone is made out of thin sheet metal and edges spread, slipping off the cap. Just make sure you have that better Dorman style - though Toyota makes them too, mine says Toyota on it - filter cap to install.
Don't get mad. get Glad.

This should work too. I use this wrench for YEARS and it always worked.

Husky Universal 3-Jaw Oil Filter Wrench-HU3JFW - The Home Depot

Old 10-11-15, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Have a Freestar van. First ever car with tire pressure sensors. Kept hitting reset and the darn warning would go away but come back the next time I started the car. Checked all the tires with three different gauges. Finally figured it out. I wasn't holding the reset button in long enough. Had to give a slow count of three not just release it when it went to odometer reading. (The change to odometer mentioned is probably specific to my van only because I have a single "every thing" display but the point is hold the reset button in for a bit of time.)

Old 10-12-15, 05:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
But the dash display only shows four tire icons. Where's the fifth icon?
I didn't know about the icons. Did you check the pressure, in the spare anyway?

Old 10-12-15, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The spare might be too far from whatever reads the sensor. On my jeep jk the spare tire sensor doesn't read on the dash. The spare can be flat or removed and it won't show up on the dash. The most aggravating thing about that system on my jeep is having it go off when the tire pressure drops below 33 psi. Mine resets itself once the tire [s] are aired back up.

Old 10-12-15, 11:27 AM
Thanks for you help.

Bob