brake squeaking - shim issue

Old 10-15-15, 03:42 PM
brake squeaking - shim issue

I have a 2003 pt cruiser. I changed the brake pads and rotors and shims a couple months ago. Driver side is fine however the passenger side i cant get to stop squeaking. I had the issue after i changed them about a week later and it sounded like the shim was rubbing on the rotor. I took apart and found the shim tab was broken so the shim could slide back and forth. I chalked it up to trying to place the shim with a screwdriver i must have broken the tabs a bit. So i installed a new pair on this side. Now the squeeking is back. When you are driving it squeaks as the tire is going around and if you turn wheel a bit or lightly press brakes it dissappears. I took it apart again and this time the shims look fine. It is definitely the shim but not surr how to stop this annoying noise. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-15, 04:02 PM
1. have you lubricated caliper piston area and all points where pads connect to bracket with brake grease?
2. Are the pads "ceramic" kind?
3. Does your rotor in question look like it's glazed, as in - glossy glass looking surface?
Any one or combination of those factors will give you squeak. This is why I stay away from ceramics.
Were the new rotors and pads bedded in? If not, this is another and, likely main reason for noise.

Old 10-15-15, 05:14 PM
I used brake grease on the caliper pins and used anti squeal lube on back of pads. These are not ceramic and the rotors didnt look glossy. It is not a brakesqueal that is evident when you apply brakes. This is a definitely from the shim as it sounds like a piece of thin metal rubbing when you are driving without applying brakes. Also it does dissapear at times and comes back

Old 10-15-15, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure backing plate didn't get bent in and rubbing rotor.

Old 10-15-15, 06:44 PM
What is the backing plate?

Old 10-15-15, 06:50 PM
It's the dust shield behind rotor. Large metal plate.
No, you may have squeaking noise from simply brake pads running on rotor. They are, technically, in continuous touch, just very slight. Some cars, like Hondas, are notorious to have that sound when in reverse.
If you are 100% positive it's tin rubbing on metal type of sound, dust shield is about the only piece that can do it. Also, believe it or not, a piece of metal or rock may get stuck between dust shield and rotor. Yep.
When you turn wheels, brakes slightly move, thus noise may go away or become lighter.
So you diod NOT bed the rotors... Well, you'll learn. I did.

Old 10-15-15, 08:36 PM
these cars are known to have wheel bearing issues, with the area in the air it might look ok, but on the ground stuff will tilt and causing contact. try shaking the wheel left right up down while on a jack.