2003 Saturn L300 AC Problem

Old 10-19-15, 04:35 PM
2003 Saturn L300 AC Problem

While driving down the road my AC stopped working. After checking everything I knew to check, I replaced the inline pressure switch hoping that was the issue. It was not! I then found the 10 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and turned the ac back on...it instantly blew the fuse, and continues to do so. I can turn the compresser by hand, so it doesn't appear to be locked up...although a couple times this past summer it would act as if it had a "dead spot" in it. When I would start the car...on a couple occasions I would have to give the compressor a push before it would turn on. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED! The system is charged and the blower motor works. This vehicle has auto climate control. ..just fyi. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-15, 07:46 PM
You can not turn charged compressor by hand. Not really sure what you are turning. Takes quite a bit of engine power to turn it. It's a high pressure system. Sort of like turning main pulley by hand.
Blown fuse points towards short somewhere. That requires special electrician knowlege to investigate.

Old 10-20-15, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
My guess would be a shorted coil in the compressor clutch. If you have a meter, disconnect and see if the coil circuit is shorted to ground.

Don't know about your compressors, Igor, but I can turn mine, with a fair amount of resistance, by hand.

Old 10-20-15, 07:47 AM
Interesting. I never could and had several replaced. My hands must be not strong enough.
Easy check is to disconnect 12V plug to clutch and reinstall new ac fuse. Turn system on. If fuse still blows, it's place else, not in clutch coil, think you?
I am still pondering over something though. Hand kick starting ac system? That must be done with engine running, right?

Old 10-20-15, 02:24 PM
Yes...with engine running I was able to give the compressor a push and it would take off..that only needed to be done a couple times...had not had any trouble out of it in some time.. Im going to disconnect the plug and replace the fuse and see what that tells me. Thanks for the idea, Towguy and UKRBYK Thats a good place to start.

Old 10-20-15, 04:40 PM
You are a brave man. I'd have never dared to kickstart it that way. You also very welcome. Post back, we learn from responses.
Which if you were to kickstart comp, clutch is apparently not grabbing well enough.

Old 10-21-15, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Igor, I caught the part about hand-starting, too, and it sounded like a good way of earning a nickname like "Stubby".

on the disconnect & try with new fuse.

The description seems to point to compressor clutch.