2007 Toyota Corolla LE battery replacement

Old 10-21-15, 09:40 AM
2007 Toyota Corolla LE battery replacement

HI
My car turns over great but is 8 years this December.
How many CCA should I be looking for.
Would a chain store give a decent battery. I am on the low in come scale. and live in MD.
The battery does not say how many CCA.
TY
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-15, 10:51 AM
I like the Kirkland batteries at Costco.

I'm sure the group number and CCA are written on your battery.

Don't over-think it. :0)

Old 10-21-15, 11:25 AM
The battery does not say how many CCA.
Any place that sells auto batteries will have an application catalog that you can look your car up in. The book will give the proper CCA, group number, etc. As I recall, Toyota OEM batteries are made by Johnson Controls. If you want to save money, try Walmart, many of their batteries are also made by Johnson Controls. I usually buy my batteries at Sam's Club and have had good luck with them.

Old 10-21-15, 12:54 PM
battery

Hi again
I don't belong to Sam's Club or Costco. However, there is a Walmart near me.
I am a AAA member and saw they take $20 off my battery. I might see about installation etc.
I would get them balance but not aligned correct?
I also saw good prices at Tires Plus Bulbs. It seems they added the 'plus bulbs' to their old name.
I would think a 3 year warranty would be OK?
TY
Peter

Old 10-21-15, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many of the better batteries today come with a 2 or 3 yr free replacement with the rest of the warranty being pro rated. I've good luck with autozone's duralast batteries.

Old 10-21-15, 02:32 PM
I called AAA and for $ 119 they will come to my house at the same price as if I went there and I will have batteries changed on site. It will be a 550 CCA with a 3 year warranty and the price is reduced as i am a member. That price is the same as batteries Plus etc and theirs is only 2 year warranty with 400? CCA.
So, the first of Dec, if the car is moaning, I will call them. I can get a tire evaluation at the time.
Thank you all for your advice. It is good to belong to a club of sorts. i drive around the nation's beltways etc so that is no place for trouble.

Old 10-21-15, 03:35 PM
My Camry Hybrid battery was manufactured in 2006 and I still use it for gate opener.
I replaced it for kicks last year. Was nothing wrong with it.
I am not sure why replace a battery that turns well. Clean poles and terminals, put some dielectric grease onto poles, set terminals all the way down to the plastic case top, spray over with battery sealant and have severla more years out of it. Maybe add some electrolite to it... Does it have one of those peep windows that tell you battery state?

Old 10-21-15, 04:15 PM
I'm glad you wrote. I will see, and care for it as long as I can. Thanks.

Old 10-21-15, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Peter, I would not, under any circumstance, purchase a AAA battery from AAA. In my professional experience those batteries are overpriced pieces of junk. If they are installing a name-brand battery, that would be different, but the ones that just say AAA on them are junk IMPO.

Like Mark, I usually got with the AutoZone Duralast.

As already mentioned, if it ain't broke.......

That can't be the factory battery in it, is it? Getting your money's worth if it is, and BTW, it's already over 8 years old because if you check the manufacture date on the door sticker, you'll find it came off the assembly line in late 2006 or early to mid 2007. Getting close to 9 years old.

Old 10-22-15, 06:22 AM
I am over 70 yrs old and live in Canada (colder climate).
It has been my experience that over my lifetime that most car batteries failed or began to give me problems in the 7th year (usually in the winter, usually at night, usually when I was AWAY from home).

I developed the habit of changing the battery in the 6th year, at my convenience, on a nice summer day at home.

I think I did get a little wiser as I aged ......

I read Consumer Report and listen to my trusted buddies at bobistheoilguy.com for battery advice when the time comes. Johnson Control seems to make a good dependable battery lately and I've had good luck with them.

If you aren't a Costco member you have a friend/neighbor that is who would scoop a battery up for you (my last Kirkland battery is a Johnson battery here in Canada) at a great price.

Good luck.

Bob

Old 10-22-15, 07:36 AM
Do you know if Auto Zone installs as I cannot?

And yes, this is the original battery. I keep the cells up with distilled water and keep the corrosion off of the poles with WD 40.

Old 10-22-15, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be best to call AZ to confirm but I believe they install batteries.

Old 10-22-15, 08:05 AM
Will do and thanks for the information.

Old 10-22-15, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check Wal-Mart. Their battery for your Toyota is $108.00 installed and is a top consumer report battery. I ran one in my last Toyota and have one in my wife's 2007 Camry.

Sears also does free installation.

Old 10-22-15, 11:35 AM
Good to know and thank you.
Walmart OK but I had a couple of awful experiences at Sears and won't be going there again. I got in touch with Executive via a fax and hey were very understanding and apologetic but they are running a disjointed system I would not use. My tires came out at 46 lbs a apiece instead of the 30 on the door for example. They backed into my car and did pay or repairs. I had to wait 4 hours for a rotation and oil change.
I'll give Walmart a shot though. TY

Old 10-22-15, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
First thing I would do is have it load tested at a reliable shop or parts store. As said...if it ain't broke....

Old 10-22-15, 11:52 AM
Yes, I have had other batts load tested and it is the only way to see about severe weather starting. TY.

Old 10-22-15, 03:17 PM
"First thing I would do is have it load tested at a reliable shop or parts store. As said...if it ain't broke.... "

It's an 8 yr old battery. It's time to change it.
It will be broke soon (about the middle of winter when you're at the Mall at night)

Old 10-22-15, 04:18 PM
I hear you and thanks. You have all been very helpful.
I am going to Walmart asap for a load test and very likely a new battery.

Old 10-22-15, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Not to argue...but the battery in my Suzuki is from 2006 and with proper maintenance it's still going fine. And the heat out here is harder on batteries than cold. Clean terminals, wash off, check fluid levels, drive it enough to keep it charged. Just saying.

Old 10-22-15, 11:02 PM
Gotta agree with Vic. The original battery in my 1997 Toyota lasted until 2005 and the replacement is still going fine. Replacing a car battery, or a furnace filter, based strictly on time is senseless in my opinion.

Old 10-23-15, 06:43 AM
Well, the distilled H2O is fine and the terminals are clean and coated with dielectric grease. it turns over like a champ. I'll reval in Dec when mother nature puts a load on it.

Old 10-23-15, 10:18 AM
My point is not that Peter may get another year out of his battery.....

My point is that when the battery does fail it will be a "necessary" repair at that time, probably in a parking lot somewhere in the winter at night.
You won’t have time to get the best deal or the right battery... you will be under the gun to get the car running again and get it (and the wife & family) home !!

This is the perfect time to replace an ageing battery on Peter's terms without pressure and to live for many years with that battery that you got changed on a pleasant fall day at your convenience.

Not having to stand beside a dead car in a parking lot in the evening after all the supply stores have closed in freezing/drizzling rain/snow conditions not knowing how/when you will ever get home is worth $100 right there.

Peter, you decide what appeals to you more. Good luck.

Bob R

Old 10-23-15, 12:33 PM
I absolutely agree with 2grandaughters! Batteries are cheap. I replace batteries at my convenience, not when they suddenly decide to die. I replace batteries after 4 years.

Old 10-23-15, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2grandaughters summed it up. Pay me now or pay me later - and if later, you don't get to choose the time or location.

Old 10-23-15, 03:15 PM
I'm making an appointment with Walmart for next week so we can all sleep this winter - thanks guys.

Old 10-23-15, 10:22 PM
Oh, good grief, haven't you people heard of jump starting? Even at 3 AM in a mall parking lot you can get a taxi to come give you a jump start for about $10. Once started, the car doesn't need much of a battery to keep going, certainly not a problem to get you home. Once you DO get home, if you have a second car then going out to buy a new battery is not a problem. You might even get a friend to take you if you don't have a second vehicle. If you have a battery charger you can connect it as soon as you get home and the battery should start the car the next day so you can get to the auto parts store, WallyWorld or wherever you decide to buy the new battery.

I've owned cars for over forty years and NEVER bought a new battery based strictly on the age of the battery in use and I have NEVER had a problem that was insurmountable.

Old 10-24-15, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe I'm just cheap but I've never replaced a battery based just on age either. On my personal vehicles I try to squeeze every bit of life out of the battery before I replace it but on my wife's car I'll install a new battery on the 1st or 2nd sign of it going bad. I can't recall the last time I needed to use jumper cables on one of my vehicles.

Old 10-24-15, 07:06 AM
I hear you all and appreciate this thread but at 76 I need to have some security for the Mrs. and myself. So being 8 years old why not get another.
We used to live off the interest in our savings @ 6% but I guess the gov. forgot old folks who saved all their lives. Now we are at .9%. Like SS, broken promises by our illustrious congress who retire with the full package. i don't think they worry about batteries - too busy with yachts.

Old 10-28-15, 08:12 AM
I live in the South West where it gets hot . I end up replacing batteries every 4 - 5 years . Local Wally World will replace batterys free .

Just a cost of owning a car .

We bought a 2015 Chevy Sonic in June . The battery tray will hold a bigger battery . That is what I will do when it needs replacing .

God bless
Wyr

Old 10-28-15, 08:53 AM
replace or not

In December i will have Walmart put a new one in.
TY

Old 10-29-15, 02:23 AM
Sorry , I misspoke . Wally World will install batteries free . Seems like they end up costing around $ 100 . Last time .

Gosd bless
Wyr

Old 10-30-15, 08:16 PM
I don't want to be inconvenienced. I replace my batteries after 3 winters and always buy 3 year full replcement warranted batteries.

Old 10-31-15, 09:04 AM
That is why there is chocolate and vanilla.