95 Camry Wagon, LE, 4CYL, 2.2L, Rear Clunking Sound

Old 10-22-15, 06:29 PM
95 Camry Wagon, LE, 4CYL, 2.2L, Rear Clunking Sound

When traveling over speed bumps & the like (slow speeds), a clunking sound occurs in the Camry's rear end (seems to be the right side). At high speeds, there is no clunking sound at all. I've angled into my inclined driveway, with the left rear tire leading & no clunking sound. I've also angled into my inclined driveway, with the right rear tire leading & there's the clunking sound.

The Camry has 165,00 miles. I've replaced the complete strut assemblies (front & rear), rear stabilizer bar links, & rear stabilizer bar bushings. Nevertheless, the clunking sound, as described above still exists. I realize the Camry has a #1 & #2 lower suspension arm as well as strut rods (are these also known as trailing arms?). Do the #1 & #2 arms as well as strut rods also have bushings & can they be the source of the clunking. If so, can anyone provide a source for these bushings & their designated part names or can anyone enlighten me as to the possible clunking source?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-15, 08:00 PM
"I realize the Camry has a #1 & #2 lower suspension arm as well as strut rods (are these also known as trailing arms?). Do the #1 & #2 arms as well as strut rods also have bushings & can they be the source of the clunking. If so, can anyone provide a source for these bushings & their designated part names or can anyone enlighten me as to the possible clunking source?"

Yes. They are a ball-in-socket design IIRC and can indeed cause clunking. They can be checked for play or looseness like any front end part. Years ago I owned a '93 with over 300k with that issue. At the time, I believe Toyota was the only place I could find replacement parts.

Old 10-22-15, 08:29 PM
Sway bar bushings. Telltale sign is clunk when going over speed bumps.

Old 10-23-15, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Checked for loose tire change equipment in that corner of the back?

Old 10-24-15, 11:02 AM
I emptied the rear cabin completely, plus, the sound has a limited duration. The clunking sound is continuous & identical each & every time as if occurring between the span of loose travel on the given suspension arm or strut rod relative to the bushing in question.

Old 10-24-15, 11:06 AM
My original description stated that I replaced the rear stabilizer bar bushings. Isn't the rear stabilizer bar the same thing as the rear sway bar. In addition, I also replaced the complete strut assemblies (front & rear) & rear stabilizer bar links. Do you have any other suggestions based on my original post?

Old 10-24-15, 02:15 PM
2005 camry with 75 k miles has developed clunking noise in - Fixya

Yes, guess you are right. No more suggestions.

Old 10-26-15, 09:01 PM
I'm just an armchair DIY mechanic. What is "a ball-in-socket design IIRC"?

Old 10-27-15, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
I think I would put that side up on a jack stand and disconnect or remove the strut so there's no load on the rest of the suspension components. Then start shaking and wiggling everything in sight.

Old 10-27-15, 06:44 AM
Would completely removing all 3 upper strut mount bolts be sufficient to a "disconnection" for diagnostic purposes?

Old 10-27-15, 09:48 AM
It'll be much easier to disconnect two strut to knuckle bolts. But then you have to redo alignment. Mainly camber.
But when you have them disconnected and strut slid off the knuckle, you can really wiggle that strut around. For diagnostic purposes, of course.

Old 10-27-15, 11:51 AM
I'm confused. If my original post stated that I had already replaced the "complete" strut assemblies (front & rear), the rear stabilizer bar links, & the rear stabilizer bar bushings, why would I want to wiggle around the strut, which I'm being advised to disconnect, when I'm trying to determine if a "strut rod" (trailing arm) or either of the lower arms, #1 or #2 (locating arms) are at fault?

I understand "putting the right rear side up on a jack stand and disconnecting or removing the strut so there's no load on the rest of the suspension components, but why am I wiggling the strut?

If a bushing on a trailing arm or a locating arm was bad, will it have more play or less play with the right rear jacked up & the strut assembly removed or will the amount of play be the same?

Last edited by bobioni57; 10-27-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
My plan would be to yank the strut all the way out just for working room. It's a new strut, not much chance it's the cause of the noise.

Old 10-27-15, 04:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I have an additional question. The rear suspension has a #1 & #2 Lower Arm. The #1 Lower Arm (Forward) doesn't appear to be adjustable, but the #2 Lower Arm (Rearward) appears to have some type of adjustable sleeve. What is the function of the adjustable sleeve?

Old 10-27-15, 06:29 PM
Adjusts toe in and toe out.

Old 10-28-15, 07:16 AM
Try Rockauto.com for parts . Then compare prices + freight to the local parts stores . Remember , You will probably not pay tax from Rockauto .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread