auto tranny issue 87 impala 78K miles

Old 10-24-15, 12:00 PM
auto tranny issue 87 impala 78K miles

I have been hearing a slight whine coming from my transmission when accelerating. The car also seems to shift a bit soon when driving around town sometimes feeling like the car is going too slow for the gear it shifts into. Do to the somewhat erratic shifting I dont believe the whine is coming from any other component eg. pulleys, alternator, power steering pump etc as it only happens when in drive and the speed of the sound increases with RPM in relation to the gear I am in. I was planning on bringing it to a tranny shop to have it checked out but I dont want to waste lots of $ just to be told I need a whole new transmission. Any ideas on the symptoms described and the reality of repair vs a total expensive replacement? And yes i checked the fluid level and the color seems red though not a bright in color as I think it should be doesn't appear to have an off or burnt smell either.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-15, 01:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you sure that it has 78,000 & not 178,000? Most places are going to tell you that you need, to rebuild it. Sometimes you can find a young guy who will drop the pan & make the proper adjustments. You have to search a little, in your neighborhood.

Old 10-24-15, 06:09 PM
yes its 78K. Doesn't seem with that mileage that it should need a complete rebuild but I wasn't sure on front wheel drives if they can be repaired rather than a full scale rebuild.

Old 10-24-15, 06:16 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I didn't even think, of front wheel drive. Impalas automatically make me think real wheel drive. I have no experience with front wheel drive. I would still look for a local guy who works out of his house. I agree that the millage seems low & shouldn't require a complete rebuild.

Old 10-24-15, 07:36 PM
I don't even see an 1987 Impala listed ......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Impala

Old 10-24-15, 09:03 PM
2007 my mistake senior moment.

Old 10-25-15, 05:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That's a 20 year senior moment. My future isn't looking good ATM. Now you know why I thought that it had rear wheel drive & why it might have had 178,000 miles.

Old 10-25-15, 08:29 AM
yup. not even close to the 2007. at least I got the 7 right. where 87 came from I have no idea. go figure.

Old 10-25-15, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
I would ask friends/neighbors/coworkers for recommendations of a good independent transmission shop. I prefer the small independent places over the franchises, which sometimes leap directly to total rebuild rather than repair. I also prefer mechanics who have storefronts. Also for tranny work, I recommend a transmission shop with a rebuild facility on the premises vice a regular garage that does trannies on the side.

If I can mange it tomorrow, I'll run those symptoms by my tranny guy and see what he says.

Old 10-25-15, 08:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I also prefer mechanics who have storefronts.
You pay extra, for the store front.

Old 10-26-15, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Less of a crap shoot on stability of the business. I lean toward independents vice franchises because of the extra costs, but a good independent with some history at their location, and a facility not on a high-rent thoroughfare to keep overhead down, is a safer bet than a guy who could be here today, gone tomorrow. I've towed enough cars to tranny shops that have already been worked on by shadetree mechanics to see the pros/cons. We'll just have to agree to disagree on it.

Old 10-26-15, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Back to the topic at hand.

greggome: Talked to my tranny guy this morning and he said nothing common leaps to mind on that year/make/model. He did caution to make absolutely sure it's not an accessory bearing going bad before having tranny looked at.

Old 10-27-15, 03:50 PM
yes I have read about that possibility but the noise only happens in drive when I am moving. In park increasing motor rpm doesn't cause the noise which i would assume it would if it were an accessory bearing. also the shifting seems to me not like it was though maybe I'm just noticing things more now. Read this online to check tranny but not sure if shutting car off in neutral is smart.

"Accelerate the car to speeds at which the whining noise is the loudest, switch to neutral gear and kill the engine. If the noise still persists, then the problem lies somewhere in the drivetrain or transmission. If the noise goes away, then it may be the engine or clutch assembly that is causing the problem. A thorough transmission checkup might solve the mystery."

Old 10-28-15, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
It's not uncommon to do that for troubleshooting. Just have to make sure you don't turn the ignition switch to the lock position (some cars won't let you) or go past N to R when moving shifter.

As to the procedure and interpretation, that's only partially correct. The problem could, for instance, be a torque converter issue (not saying it's even a suspect at this point, just making a point) and the torque converter isn't turning with the engine off. My suspicion is the noise will go away if you do that.

Old 10-28-15, 07:02 AM
At the very least , a fluid change and filter change would be good preventative maintenance .

Tranny rebuild , I had a rebuild for a 96 Lumina quoted at slightly less than $ 2000 . A fair amount of labor getting the tranny out of a FWD car .

God bless
Wyr

Old 10-28-15, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
That's about average, I think; there's a few make/models that will come in lower, but for the most part $2000 would be a good price. Some of the newer stuff can get up in the $4000 range, I know, and that's at the independent shops.

Old 10-28-15, 04:08 PM
I was also concerned that when I turn off the engine after putting into neutral I'd be losing power to the steering and brakes.

If it becomes very expensive to fix I may trade it in for a newer used car, though those are pretty expensive from what I see on the used car lots. I figure I'll bring it it to a shop to get assessed but not sure if a bad report will be tagged to my car and hurt my trade in value should I decide to do that.

Old 11-26-15, 08:06 PM
Something I learned many years ago when dealing with cars "Dont assume anything" you are assuming its trans because it only does it in drive when moving. The wheel brngs only turn then also. That trans should run at least 100K mi. Jack it up and do some run tests. That is about the right milage for a wheel brng to go. I lost one at 66K. Let us know what you find.