2007 impala power steering pump whine

Old 10-31-15, 06:42 PM
2007 impala power steering pump whine

Thought I had tranny problems but further investigation the whine I was hearing is coming from the power steering pump/pulley area. How difficult is a do it yourself replacement on this? Having a hard time finding info on line on repair / replacement process. I did see a post that said by bleeding the pump sometimes the whine can be eliminated. Didnt know you could bleed them.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-15, 08:34 PM
GM bleeding procedure:

Power Steering System Bleeding
Important:

Use clean, new power steering fluid type only. See the Maintenance and Lubrication subsection for fluid specifications. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations.
Hoses touching the frame, body or engine may cause system noise. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.
Loose connections may not leak, but could allow air into the steering system. Verify that all hose connections are tight.
Important: Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.

1. Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.
Important: With hydro-boost only, the oil level will appear falsely high if the hydro-boost accumulator is not fully charged. Do not apply the brake pedal with the engine OFF. This will discharge the hydro-boost accumulator.

2. If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:
2.1. Start the engine.
2.2. Firmly apply the brake pedal 1015 times.
2.3. Turn the engine OFF.

3. Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.

4. Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.
Vehicles equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to15 to 20 stop to stops.

5. Verify power steering fluid level per operating specification. Refer to Checking and Adding Power Steering Fluid.

6. Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).

7. Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure, if necessary.

Old 11-01-15, 12:27 AM
Most of that was over my head .

End result , try completely replacing all the old fluid with new fluid . What ever specification fluid GM requires for your car .

You might also do a little reading at

ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S | Bob Is The Oil Guy

No idea how difficult it will be to change out a defective pump on your car . See if you can find a Chilton or Haynes book got your specific car .

By the way , while you are at it , check the condition of the serpentine belt .

God bless
Wyr

Old 11-01-15, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Guessing the fluid level is fine ?
If you didn't just add fluid because it was low...the system doesn't need to be bled and will help nothing.

I've been reading a ton of complaints on these pumps..... you are not alone.

There are only three bolts holding the pump in place. Usually you will need to have the pulley swapped from your old one to the new one. There are two hydraulic lines connected to the back. Not a hard job if you've done engine work but but can be dirty.

you tube - brief pump replacement

Old 11-02-15, 07:10 PM
thanks. Fluid was low at the add mark. Not sure if that warrants bleeding or not. I would assume that if I replace the pump the system would then need to be bled? saw a you tube on bleeding via vacuum with engine running. not sure how to tell if I have hydro-boost on my car. also not sure i understand step 4 below. I am turning the steering wheel with engine off? how does that bleed the pump when the motors not running and circulating the fluid?

Old 11-02-15, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure about step 4 being correct either. Usually the pump needs to be turning and then you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Old 11-03-15, 04:29 AM
I have an on-line friend who works at GM.

He sent me this text when i was having trouble with my 2007 Uplander (virtually identical to Impala) steering.

This text is right out of the GM sevice manual so you may not want to question it too much.....

Old 11-03-15, 10:45 AM
I was in charge of steering systems at GM for over 20 years, don't question the procedure, it is correct!

Old 11-03-15, 01:55 PM
thank you. Just wanted to make sure before proceeding.