On going troublshooting on 93 olds cutlass supreme

Old 11-04-15, 01:33 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On going troublshooting on 93 olds cutlass supreme

I was smelling fuel after turning off engine, I pulled the plug, both the wires and plugs are new I am not getting a spark from the number one cylinder plug When I pulled the old plugs the number one cylinder plug was black and didn't look like it was firing the coil is new also but now I am thinking mabe the module is bad or ?????

Old 11-04-15, 02:07 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
As I said before, leaking injectors. Plug flooded with petrol. Won't fire.
You need to, otherwise, test plugs for spark. Just make sure fuel pump is disabled so that it does not squirt petrol onto plug while you are testing it for spark.
You can take plugs out and take them to butane torch. Burn tips white hot with it to clean. Reinstall. If she fires right away, then it's fouled plugs.
Seriously, stop tossing new parts at a car without first diagnosing what's wrong. Not my money, just being considerate.

Old 11-04-15, 02:22 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes I hear what you are saying

about new parts, all the parts I purched before I joined doityourself. and have been testing since then.

I tested the the pulg and the wire and they are fine, So if I am not getting a spark what eles could the problem be?

Old 11-04-15, 05:29 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Very glad you have excellent hearing.
Now you have to test voltage to the ignition coil. And from ignition coil. Coils go bad or, often overseen, a small capacitor on the side goes bad. Ground for coil gets oxidized. How to Test an Ignition Coil: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Btw, what does this mean: I tested the the pulg and the wire and they are fine, Fine as in?

Diagnostic flowchart for a car that won't start or stalls - Troubleshooting for the starter, spark failure and the fuel pump

Old 11-05-15, 03:08 AM
A
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
if the coil was bad it would lose fire to 2 cylinders not just 1 same thing if the module was bad if its cylinder number 1 its paired with cylinder number 4 and you would lose spark to both cylinders as the coil will send spark to both plugs. while 1 cylinder will be on the compression stroke the other will be on the exhaust and there both at tdc at the same time.
suspect you have spark just the plug is fouled due to a fuel issue, is that the only plug fouled or is there others?
if its the only 1 a leaking injector would probably be likely you can usually pull the fuel rail and injectors from the intake leaving it connected to the fuel lines and pressurize the fuel rail by cycling the key on and off several times and look for leaks at the injectors. might also check for fuel at the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line if the is any gas in the vacuum line you would need to replace the regulator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: