2013 Honda CRV Misdiagnosed Road Noise

Old 11-07-15, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2013 Honda CRV - Misdiagnosed Road Noise

2013 Honda CRV - we began noticing road noise, what sounded like a tire hum around 22k miles. Honda diagnosed the noise from tire cupping (OEM tires). Now at just over 36k miles, we got all new Goodyear tires and a front end alignment....the noise remains.

Any other possibilities for this hum? The level of the noise is dependent on speed. We are a little frustrated, given the the vehicle warranty just expired this week. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-15, 10:58 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
If you brought the issue to their attention during the warranty period then it may still be covered since they misdiagnosed the problem. I have a 2012, but being almost deaf it could be roaring and I wouldn't know. Besides the wife drives it and as long as it goes she is happy.

My advice would be to return to the dealer and establish that this IS the same problem and get them to look at it under warranty. If they refuse, a letter or email to the main office might get some results.

But, if you fix the problem, don't expect them to reimburse you, they don't do that.

Good luck,
Bud

Old 11-07-15, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
1. bad hub bearing. You need to do bearing test. No telling over the internet.
2. leaking exhaust somewhere.
3. foreign object stuck somewhere. A trash bag, for example. Or, loose underbody panel.

Old 11-07-15, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"2013 Honda CRV - we began noticing road noise, what sounded like a tire hum around 22k miles. Honda diagnosed the noise from tire cupping (OEM tires). Now at just over 36k miles, we got all new Goodyear tires and a front end alignment....the noise remains.

Any other possibilities for this hum? The level of the noise is dependent on speed. We are a little frustrated, given the the vehicle warranty just expired this week. Thanks! "

I'm frustrated reading that you knew you had a problem and waited until NOW (just AFTER the warranty expires) to address it !! Unbelievable .......

I had literally the same situation with my Chev Uplander in 2010.
Tires whining and wearing funny at about 25k miles.
I had GM check my alignment and the left rear tire had excess camber and as the tires were rotated through the left rear position they were worn conical until all the tires were noisy.
GM did an alignment on the van under warranty as it was defective from the factory (no damage or worn parts). I held them accountable for the worn tires and eventually GM replaced all 4 tires with original equipment tires identical to the worn ones. Those tires lasted over 50k miles and ran quiet.

You waited until (just after) the last minute to bring a conclusion to your problem.
You will pay the consequences.
I couldn't have driven another 14k on my whining tires, and you likely didn't have to.

Good luck

Old 11-07-15, 01:00 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Now at just over 36k miles, we got all new Goodyear tires and a front end alignment....the noise remains.
Bad move, you should have gotten a 4 wheel alignment.

Old 11-07-15, 01:52 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Although a prompt determination would have been better, Honda diagnosed the problem where it was his dime to fix it. Understandable that one might want to milk those defective tires for as long as he could stand the noise. Once changed, again his dime, he discovered their diagnosis was in error.

This is where one discovers the difference between a good dealer/manufacturer and a bad one. Clearly both parties should have done better, the dealer should have found the problem at NO EXPENSE to the owner and the owner should have handled the timing better. For myself, I would have told them up front that I wasn't going to replace the tires today and that when that finally occurred we would find out if it fixed the problem.

A major corporation like Honda, especially considering their bruised image of late, has the deep pockets to take another look at this problem and save a customer.

Bud