Timing Belt & Water Pump Toyota Camry 2003 V6 US Mfg.

Old 11-11-15, 11:08 AM
Timing Belt & Water Pump Toyota Camry 2003 V6 US Mfg.

I had changed timing belt at 95K and now it is 180K so my toyota dealer told me that its due for changing belt and waterpump. He said it is going to $900. Now thats a lot of money and would like to know thoughts on changing it myself. Trying to find some videos or instructions and suggestions if I should attempt it myself or not. Recently I just learned how to replace struts (fully loaded) and brake rotors and brake pads.
Any suggestion would be helpful..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-15, 12:41 PM
Do you have the option of using an independent instead of the Dealer ?

Old 11-11-15, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
The V-6 is a bit more involved than the 4 cylinder. If it was the 4 I would say go for it. I'm not sure I would try the V6, and I'm a pretty advanced DIY-er.

I like Vermont's line of thought. I never, ever recommend dealer service departments unless it is warranty work or something proprietary like programming keys/computers. You can get as good or better work done at a good independent for less money. That $900 figure sounds a little steep to me.

Old 11-11-15, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
The complete Gates timing belt kit (belt, pulleys, water pump) is less than $200. Even a genuine Toyota kit, not bought through a dealer, I think runs about $250. I don't think it takes $600+ worth of labor to do that job. I'm thinking $600-700.

Old 11-11-15, 01:04 PM
Go to craigslist and find a mobile mechanic. V6 timing belt is about half mile long and it's very easy to do something wrong. Esp if it had VVT-I which your car most likely does as it's VVT-I block is run by same belt.
You should have done WP, tensioner and idler back when the 1st timing belt was done.
Also what you need to do is to take out VVT-I actuator filters and clean them. I'd say, take actuators out too, and spray clean with a brake cleaner. They are located just below the valve covers,on transmission side, on each engine head. They are not hard to remove but because the filter base is made out of some flimsy plastic and is very easy to damage when re-inserting the filter. Hand has to go at awkward angle in. Actuators are right next to filter.

Old 11-11-15, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, just got off the phone with one of my favorite garages and he said off the top of his head that depending on what part of the country it's in, $700-1000. Now that is for EVERYTHING - belt, water pump, idler pulleys, springs, water pump and gasket, antifreeze, etc. If the dealer's quote for $900 did not include EVERYTHING, then it would be pretty high. The labor time is supposed to be 3-3 1/2 hrs.

He also said I could check out a new site he's familiar with for getting repair estimates that takes into account the area/region. It's repairpal.com.

Old 11-11-15, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Igor, did that $900 figure sound steep to you? I'm used to the 4 bangers; less than $100 for the kit and couple hours of work.

Old 11-11-15, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
ukrbyk and I don't always see eye to eye on storefront v. non-storefront (i.e. mobile), but the basic idea is the same - a good independent. I would prefer you ask friends and relatives for a referral on a good independent garage.

Old 11-11-15, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for quick response.
You are right. I checked rockauto.com and highest for complete kit for timing belt is $155.00 which includes ( AISIN Water Pump,AISIN Hydraulic Tensioner, Koyo Idler Bearing, Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt, Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings)
I might have to check with dealer what is included in 900.00 quote (he just mentioned timing belt and water pump) I am in NJ so normal cost is higher in this part. But let me check repairpal.com which is a good suggestion.

Old 11-11-15, 03:23 PM
One question though... Apart from below parts which is the whole kit on rockauto.com do i need anything else AISIN Water Pump,AISIN Hydraulic Tensioner, Koyo Idler Bearing, Koyo Tensioner Bearing, Mitsuboshi Timing Belt, Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings)

Just to make sure if anything else is needed or recommended..

Old 11-11-15, 08:18 PM
David, 900 sounds about right per dealer. Say 4 hr labor will be around $450 just there. Their parts pricing will be much higher than aftermarket. I think they markup over 200%, judging from what a Toyota sales guy showed me on his screen. He somehow decided to go frank with me...
I doubt they will replace everything for that price. But it's just my doubt, OP, please call for specifics.

OP, that kit looks about right. Because "you are there", you replace everything possible, as fate has it for things to go bad in same place right after you "done it".
Once again, I encourage you not to attempt that repair DIY because of the VVT-I block. We had wife's 3.0 V6 timing belt done by good family friend shop and yet, VVT light came up day 2 after repair.
Also, do not neglect what I said about VVT filters and actuators. 20 minute job saves a lot of headache and scare down the road.
I'd let mechanic pick their parts. Mobil mechs do not surcharge, you simply take guy to store and pay the bill. Storefronts do surcharge, but it varies. Some do 20%, some do whatever. You can ask for receipts or ask them how much they surcharge. Most independants I know use aftermarket parts and very few will agree to use what YOU ordered. Mobil mechs are fine with whatever. Guy I know here did radiator replacement and water pump on in law's work van for $740 parts and labor. He started with $150 for radiator, but then found wobble in water pump, so cuz he "was there' they did WP same time.

Old 11-12-15, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
I'm onboard with most of Igor's post. I would agree $900 is probably about right for a dealer service department. I would not be surprised, however, if by the time you paid the bill there would be a charge for shop supplies, antifreeze recycling, coffee & donut surcharge, and mandatory tip for the guy who brings your car around for pickup. Dealers have very nice waiting rooms, of course.