2005 Ford Taurus SE Strut and Spindle Replace

Old 11-11-15, 03:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford Taurus SE Strut and Spindle Replace

Hey,

My Taurus steering wheel was vibrating an awful lot and I took it to Mr. Tire to have the wheels balanced.

They told me that the strut might be bent and is sitting crooked and that I have a bent spindle.( both on the right side)

I looked at my car and looking at the right side strut there is a little plastic rubber piece that does sit lower and closer to the tire then the left side.

Is there anyway to know if the strut and spindle are truly bent?

Do I need to replace both spindles?
I looked online and it said the spindle is the CV Axle? is that correct? I cant just replace a spindle?

I looked online and 1Aauto has a video on how to do it. but they used a lift and I don't have a lift. is this job doable without a lift?

Thanks

Old 11-11-15, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
unless bent severely you would need to put on alignment rack to tell. Spindle is outer cv joint. bearing are in hub assy, What they said does not make sense to me. Maybe did not explain it well to you.

Old 11-11-15, 06:33 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Did you hit something? How did you bend a spindle? That would take quite an impact ....

Old 11-11-15, 08:32 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
The only rubber piece in a strut is dust boot. Dust boot covers - or should cover - impact dampener, a urethane donut sitting right on strut shaft. Strut also has 2 coil insulators, lower and upper. So I am not sure what you talking about.
Spindles are EXTREMELY strong. They are one of the main front suspension strutural pieces. To bend spindle you either had to seriously hit it or.... well, I have my opinion on that particular make quality, so I'll let it be.
But yes, I have seen bent steering knuckles. After car wreck.
OP, if I were you, I'd take that car to a suspension pro for inspection and ask them to show their findings - if they find any. Mr Tire will not qualify on my books as suspension pro. You need frame and suspension shop. Like we have Vic's frame here.
Bent strut? I seen those too, but they normally do not function well, as piston gets jammed inside the tube.
Sounds like - if it's all true - someone either hit a major pothole or curb or car was in a wreck

Old 11-12-15, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Time for a second opinion.

Old 11-12-15, 10:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll take it to a real shop
This weekend

Old 11-13-15, 05:36 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Well, you are welcome. Not just to any real shop. To frame and body shop. It's different. Find some redneck independent that was in business for generations. those guys are the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: