2000 Grand Cherokee 4 wheel drive not working.

Old 11-20-15, 07:23 PM
2000 Grand Cherokee 4 wheel drive not working.

Hi All,
So I just picked up a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has the Quadra drive in it. 188,000 miles.

Took it out in the snow today and found that the 4 wheel drive does not work. I can shift it into 4 low, but still only in 2 wheel drive.

The check engine light is on, and I have not yet checked codes, but will soon.

Was hoping that someone would have an idea of something I can check out quickly? Is there a fuse for the 4 wheel drive on these? Vacuum lines?

Just bought this a couple of days ago, the kid I got it from said it was working fine for him ( of course it was! ) . I'm kind of po'd right now, and hoping that there would be something that I can check out without going to a lot of expense and trouble.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-15, 08:38 PM
i would quickly check that the front drive shaft is there.

Old 11-20-15, 09:41 PM
That's actually on my list for tomorrow! Figured I'd make sure the drive shaft is on. Lift up the front and see if the wheels turn. I have not worked on these Quadra Drive systems before so am kind of going at this blindly.

Old 11-21-15, 02:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Quadratrac is full time 4wd, so I would suspect the driveshaft or mechanical component as iceman contends. If that is not the case there is a fault in the transfer case it$elf.

Old 11-22-15, 02:48 PM
So, is this a common problem, that people remove the drive shaft? Because, there isn't one on this Jeep! And of course, the kid I bought it from is pleading ignorance to it. And I guess I believe him, since he seems not so bright.

So, I assume someone took the shaft off for a reason. Is there a common thing that goes wrong with these? I checked the cv joints and there doesn't seem to be any play in them. There is no noise from the front end when I drive it. Being all wheel drive, if the shaft was out, would the cv joints still spin? If they spin and don't make noise, could I assume that they are good?

What would the chances be that the drive shaft went bad? Cv joints or U-joints in it?

Thanks for taking the time to answer about this. I can't believe I let myself get shafted like this, pun intended.

Old 11-22-15, 07:36 PM
the drive shafts do go bad. and make a lot of noise when turning. for those that are cheep just have them removed.

Old 11-22-15, 08:03 PM
half shafts always spin as they are rotated by wheels which in their turn rotate hub bearing that has splines that connect to half shaft splines.
Not sure how drive shaft will go bad but U-joints do go bad.
Maybe someone decided to save on gas and discontinue 4WD. Maybe transfer case or front diff is shot and it is only safe to operate the vehicle in 2WD mode.

Old 11-23-15, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with the U joints going bad and not having them replaced. If the PO was a flatlander, he probably didn't use 4wd, or need it. I see you are in Michigan, so I would think you could use it in the snow.

Old 11-23-15, 08:06 PM
it has a non rebuildable C/V type at the transfer case.

Old 11-24-15, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the input. So, how do I tell what kind of shaft to get? I was calling around about them and apparently there are a couple of different ones that go on these?

Search this Thread