2007 grand marguis has no heat

Old 11-28-15, 08:39 AM
Question 2007 grand marguis has no heat

2007 grand marguis gs with 40,000 miles. AC works fine, no heat coming into car though. Top radiator hose remain just warm and soft after vehicle is up to operating temp. My husband replaced thermostat and still no heat and top hose still just warm and soft. Took it to Goodyear Service Center for diagnostics, they claim it is blend door or servo(sp?). I questioned top hose not becoming pressurized and I basically got treated like a dum chick who doesnt know anything. Please help me. Vehicle is not overheating, leaking antifreeze inside or out. Running just a tad bit cooler on temp gauge than what it has for the 5 years I have owned it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Top radiator hose remain just warm and soft after vehicle is up to operating temp
That is normal. There may not be a lot of water flowing thru that hose. If there was no water flowing in there your car would overheat. The heater gets it's water flow regardless if that line is hot or not.

You need to locate both small rubber lines to the heater core. One may be 3/4" and the other may be 5/8". One should connect to the engine near the thermostat. That's usually the supply to the heater code. In any event..... both lines should be equally hot. If one is hot and the other is not you may have a hot water control valve that controls the flow to the heater core OR the heater core is plugged.

If both lines are hot.... the problem lies under the dash.... typically the blend door.

Old 11-28-15, 09:45 AM
At operating temperature, both upper and lower radiator hoses should be roughly same temperature by touch. Thermostat after it opens, maintains coolant temperature at about 190 degrees, maybe more, depends on the t-stat. Basically, when t-stat opens, there is continuous coolant circulation through the system, with t-stat constantly monitoring flow.
One hose soft and lukewarm normally indicates problem with coolant flow.
Did you husband do the air bleeding procedure after t-stat replacement?
Of course, you should locate heater core hoses and check on them, just like PJ suggested.
How is coolant level? Cold/-er coolant temp happens when there is not sufficient volume of coolant in the system.
I'd definitely start there.
Older cars had cable operated valve, opening coolant flow into the heater core, like PJ said. Those get broken or cable attachment brakes inside the climate control unit. I doubt your car is that old, but knowing Ford..... They have pathological lack of implementation of new parts into their vehicles.

Old 11-28-15, 09:50 AM
A friend of mine had an older model Explorer that allegedly had a blend door failure. Guys at the ford dealership told her it was going to cost over $1K to get it repaired. That was roughly what the entire vehicle was worth at that point.

Old 11-28-15, 09:57 AM
My husband is recieving various procedures/opinions online on proper bleeding procedure for my car. What is proper procedure? He has read about putting front end of car up on ramps to bleed and many many other opinions.

Old 11-28-15, 12:39 PM
Took it to Goodyear Service Center for diagnostics, they claim it is blend door or servo(sp?). I questioned top hose not becoming pressurized and I basically got treated like a dum chick who doesnt know anything.

Forget about feeling like being treated like a dumb chick and repair the blend door.

They told you what's wrong with it and you keep looking elsewhere.