new steering gear "feels touchy"

Old 12-03-15, 07:50 PM
new steering gear "feels touchy"

My brother in law's 88 Dodge van (B250) blew a seal in the steering gear box so he got himself a new (rebuilt) one and managed to replace it himself. Now he says the steering feels "touchy" and describes the steering as being so much more sensitive than he was used to before and he's been driving the van a long time but because it feels so different he was wondering if that's just normal and to be expected with a new steering gear box. Someone told him it's normal but he's not sure whether he should believe that person. He asked me too, and I don't know. So I thought I'd sort of ask for him, here, so any I'd appreciate so I might pass them along to him. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-15, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
I've driven Ford vans for years. Their steering boxes have been the pits. I've never gotten a decent rebuilt one yet.

My 99 Ford E-350 diesel has +400k miles on it and the steering box is leaking like a stuck pig but I refuse to play the musical lifetime warranty rebuilt steering box game.

expected with a new steering gear box.
That's a not a new box. You're at the mercy of the rebuilder. If the van drives ok and it doesn't leak.... leave it.

Old 12-03-15, 08:53 PM
Right not a new box just a rebuilt one. New would have been too spendy. Ok PJ well I don't know how a Dodge van steering box might compare with that of a Ford van but I think if he hears the advice to just leave it alone if the van drives okay he'll be fine with that. He said when his old box "blew" it was a sudden thing while he was driving/turning and that most all the fluid just gushed out.
Edit: Rebuit unit was a "Cardone", supposedly a decent quality... (thought might be worth mentioning).

Last edited by sgull; 12-03-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-03-15, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
I've replaced the steering boxes several times in some of my vans. The boxes came with a lifetime warranty for an exchange but didn't cover my labor and time. I would get one box that was worse than the last.

Old 12-03-15, 09:38 PM
His rebuilt box has a 3-year warranty.

Old 12-04-15, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In my younger days I drove a lot of worn out vehicles, many with sloppy steering I got so used to working the steering wheel to keep the vehicle in a straight line I had difficulties when I got into a vehicle with tight steering ...... could that be your brother in law's issue?

Old 12-04-15, 09:59 AM
Possibly. That crossed my mind too. Although I'd gotten the impression by his description (and concern/worry) of it now seeming so "touchy" as meaning maybe ultra or perhaps somehow overly responsive and so actually problematic in that sense. I'll talk to him again, maybe drive it for myself see what I think, then post back.

Old 12-04-15, 04:03 PM
My bet Marksr is right. You get used to slop and then "normal" feels 'touchy". it's a simple mechanical device, none of them electronic assist things, it can not possibly be better than what gears permit. He'll get used to it.

Tell him The Sages said it's normal and buy us all some refreshments.

Old 12-04-15, 05:13 PM
He'll get used to it. Tell him The Sages said it's normal and buy us all some refreshments.
Okay will do ukrbyk. Not so sure about the refreshment part, but will advise him as per The Sages. I talked to him today (since my last post) and he already says he's getting used to having to get used to it. Thanks. All good!

Old 12-04-15, 06:33 PM
As I said....
The Sages.

Search this Thread