1995 toyota camry LE 2.2L

Old 12-21-15, 08:11 AM
1995 toyota camry LE 2.2L

My car was running perfectly fine a couple days ago but today I went and tried to start it but it wouldn't start. I checked to see if it had spark and fuel and it had both. It will turn over it just won't fire. I'm not sure what Is going on. Can someone please help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 09:50 AM
Is the timing belt broken?
Open the oil cap when you crank it over and see if the cam is turning.

Old 12-21-15, 10:23 AM
Just slipping a few teeth on the timing belt will do it. When was the timing belt last changed?

Old 12-21-15, 08:01 PM
We did check the timing belt. Do you guys think it could be the ignition control module?

Old 12-21-15, 10:12 PM
I have a '97 and there has only been two times when it didn't start. I have no idea of what the problem was the first time but all I did was wait for an hour and then it was fine, never crapped out again. The second time it was about 20,000 miles beyond factory recommendation on changing the timing belt and it DID jump a few teeth. That cost me about $2,000 as I recall but the dealer DID see me coming and did a bunch of other work that was not necessary in my opinion.

I have 168,000 miles on it now and those were the ONLY problems with not starting I have ever had except for the time that I left the dome light on for three days and ran the battery flatter than a pancake. I have replaced the timing belt again since that first time but the battery that I ran flat (replacement of the factory battery some ten years ago) is still doing fine.

Old 12-22-15, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
"Having" fuel and spark are relative terms. Sufficient fuel and spark could be the issue, i.e. low fuel pressure or weak spark. That 2.2L motor is practically bulletproof, so chances are it's something reasonably simple.