Freestar ABS Light On

Old 12-21-15, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Freestar ABS Light On

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Freestar Van.

First vehicle ever with ABS so assume I no nothing. The ABS light came on today. Braking seems to be normal. I haven't checked the fluid yet. I'll do that in the morning. Can low fluid cause the ABS light to come on?

My main question is so long as breaking is normal can I wait a few days to get this checked? I drive less than 20 miles a week and it is only surface street driving. I understand that the ABS may be impaired but how big a risk is that? All other cars I have driven didn't even have ABS, there is no snow or ice on the roads here and I usually don't drive in the rain.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
From what I've noticed in repairing is that the problem is usually an intermittent or defective wheel sensor. The brake fluid level will activate the BRAKE light... not the ABS light.

Some vans like mine have a sensor that mounts in the universal to monitor the rear wheels. You won't have that type if it's a front wheel drive.

The brakes will work completely normally with the ABS light on... you just won't have the ABS activation.

If the light is on.... a code was set and can be read.

Old 12-21-15, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Pete. Just wanted to be sure.

Old 12-22-15, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Go to autozone and have them read codes. This will give you some idea what you are dealing with.
PS have had my freestar since 2005 and love it.

Old 12-22-15, 06:21 AM
Depending on year/make/model there are codes that can point to the exact problem sensor. I don't think the scanner Autozone uses has the ability to read ALL the codes from the various engine & body computers.

I used a cheap bluetooth OBD-II adapter & free smartphone app ("Torque") to locate an intermittent LF ABS sensor wire in my 2004 Explorer. Your Freestar likely has the same ability.

Old 12-22-15, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks all. Talked with my mechanic since posting and his quotes didn't put me into sticker shock so I'll let him have a look next week. (Nice having the same mechanic for 20 years. One you can trust not to gouge you.)