Engine Hiccups near 2000 RPM in Honda Fit 2007

Old 12-29-15, 11:04 AM
Engine Hiccups near 2000 RPM in Honda Fit 2007

Hi!

I've got a "new" car, have not discussed it here yet, and I need an advice. Thanks in advance. Here it goes.

This is for Honda Fit Sport 2007, manual transmission, 95K miles. It developed just over the last 3-4 weeks "hiccups" in the engine when driving, and engine rotates between 2000-3000 RPM. It feels like sudden momentarily losses of power when accelerating, most noticeable in 2nd gear but present in every gear really. I only notice it when I am pressing the accelerator pedal pretty hard. It feels like one split second all is good, and the next moment it suddenly does not accelerate, then comes back again. Leads to some minor jerking (similar to what happens when you do not know how to drive manual and hit the accelerator too hard - but that's not it).

This symptom was not there before. I bought the car just a few months ago from the private party, got it professionaly inspected, and since then even took it on a long road trip, about 3500 miles, and all was good. This is a new development.

Could you guys advice, where to begin checking? Is it spark plug, timing and such? Or I am way off?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-15, 02:11 PM
Start by checking for stored codes.

If the plugs are original it wouldn't hurt to change them. Use OE plugs.

Old 12-29-15, 04:24 PM
I found a code: P0133, which stands for "Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)".

Is it consistent with my described symptoms or it is likely to be unrelated? The internet says that such a code is not likely to be noticeable but there might be symptoms.

What should I do? Reset the code and see if it comes back? What about the original problem of the engine hiccups near 2000 RPM?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-15, 04:31 AM
would probably clear the codes and see if it returns with 95k miles it may need a new o2 sensor, if it was an inexpensive part would probably just recommend changing the o2 sensor but considering the cost would wait and see if it returns.
I doubt it is causing the jerking or power loss you are having would probably start with new plugs and coil boots for your current problem.

Old 12-30-15, 10:36 AM
Is there a meaningful way to check the spark plugs, I mean, they can be new or fine (I only recently bought the car)?

Old 12-31-15, 03:51 AM
modern plugs do not really show wear you can remove them all and examine them for carbon tracks down the insulator and do the same for the inside of the coil boot would also remove the coil boot and check for corrosion at the terminals and look for small holes where the spark could be escaping.
without knowing the maintenance history of the vehicle there really is no way to tell how old the plugs is, you can check your owners manual for the recommended interval for spark plug change it is usually around 100k for most vehicles but the silicone rubber is usually starting to degrade on the coil boots also causing a bad seal against the spark plug and more likely to cause a possible misfire.
if you have a scan tool that shows misfire counters you can also look at that and see if a certain cylinder is misfiring also, once it gets bad enough it will generally also throw a misfire code and turn on the check engine light also.

Old 02-08-16, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

here's the "final" update I hope. I fixed the problem for now but I did three things, so I do not know which one helped. I replaced the spark plugs, the air filter, and cleared out the code. I kinda think it's the spark plugs. Anyway, now the hiccups are gone.

Thanks for the help!