94 Crown Vic not reversing

Old 01-02-16, 12:59 PM
Unhappy 94 Crown Vic not reversing

My 1994 Crown Vic is in good shape, but now has 100,000mi. on it. A few months ago it started to refuse to shift into reverse after both cold and warm starts. Is this a neutral/safety switch issue or something different? Several years ago I did have to use the work-around to drive it home when the neutral switch wire broke under the dash. Thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-16, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
It is not a neutral/safety switch issue; that only controls the ability or prevention of starting the car in neutral/park or a drive gear.

Chances are you have an internal problem in the transmission. Loss of reverse is a fairly common failure mode on transmissions and not just on Fords. I would suggest a visit to a good independent tranny shop (not a big franchise, they tend to lean towards complete rebuild on any and all problems).

Old 01-04-16, 04:51 PM
Thank you for your advice. The car is presently in the southern most part of the Florida peninsula with my daughter who is working there for the winter. I will tell her to scope out a local independent
shop.

Old 01-05-16, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Have her ask around for recommendations of good garages in her area. One source would be to call 2 or 3 independent towing companies (make sure they aren't owned by a garage or dealership) and ask for the names of some good garages. Tow guys know who's good and who to avoid, although they are likely to recommend (like I do) garages that they tow for regularly. I tow for about a dozen places regularly and have several "A-list" garages. They are garages I would recommend even if I wasn't towing for them. Bad for MY business reputation if I sent someone to a low-quality garage.

Search this Thread