2007 Chevy Malibu - 'Door Ajar' stays ON, car alarm going ON for no reason

Old 01-08-16, 12:23 PM
2007 Chevy Malibu - 'Door Ajar' stays ON, car alarm going ON for no reason

Hi,
My 2007 Chevy Malibu (4cyl) w/GM Alarm system has started doing some odd things recently.
It started couple weeks ago when I found 'Door Ajar' warning appearing on the front dash display. After going around and re-closing all the doors the 'Door Ajar' warning continued to display until I clear it by hitting the [MENU] button. But it reappears every time I start the car even though every door is securely closed and locked.

Last week, my son told me the car alarm started going off briefly, periodically through out the day for a minute or so - horn honks, front headlights flash and then stops, only to repeat the alarm warning a little while later. I discovered that if I locked the car with the Lock Switch on the door that it would continue this behavior; but, if I locked the doors manually (pushing down the door lock post) that the Alarm system would not go ON for no reason.

The car's in good shape but has 130K miles on it, so I'm not wanting to spend any money fixing - but, if you have any tips for either disabling the GM Alarm system easily or if you know what might need checked for the 'Door Ajar' sensor/system - I'd appreciate your insight.
Thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 07:49 AM
We hadn't experienced the car alarm going off for no reason for a while and had even started using the power locks... That is, until night before last when we got a steady rain through the night. For whatever reason - no one was around the car, we were all inside - the car alarm starts going off. I quickly unlocked the door and then locked it manually. No problem since, but this is a strange issue.
greynold99

Old 02-02-16, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
My first thought was a faulty door switch, i.e. the one that senses the door ajar/open. Try Googling "door ajar switch" for more reading on the subject.

And it going off in heavy rain could indicate a bare wire somewhere getting wet.

Old 02-08-16, 12:27 PM
To Tow_Guy

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, I tried that shortly after last post and ... No surprise I found a lot of issues with the GM Passive Antitheft Alarm system - some originating from the door ajar sensor and some originating with the ignition key cylinder.
There's even a You-tube video for 'jumpering' a certain pair of wires at the access opening for the key cylinder - but you also have to install a few crimp-on resistors to bypass/disable the PAA system.
Doesn't look too difficult to do and costs about $10 for RadioShack parts.

But the more alarming info I came across was that this PAA system can fail by shutting down the car - similar to the Cobalt ignition key cylinder defect but different in that the ignition key doesn't come out or move to 'ACC'. Seems like it just shuts the car OFF! Report I saw indicates GM says the key is getting moved to the 'ACC' position by 'too heavy key-ring' or getting bumped...
Of course, that was the same thing said about the Cobalt ignition key cylinder defect.

The funny thing is, I hadn't heard a thing about it until now.
Again that's similar to the Cobalt issue, where my boy had been driving one for two years before we realized the danger it presented.

Since I don't know if the DYI Fix I found for the PAA System going off, fixes both the Alarm and the car shutting down - I was wondering if anyone on this forum might know.
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 02-08-16, 01:08 PM
Not the exact scenario, and a completely different make and model, but a similar experience on my 2008 Dodge Ram led me to the wires that run through the rubber boot from the body to the door being frayed and/or broken. Might not be your case, but seems to be not uncommon, so something to throw in your noggin in case the other path doesn't pan out.

Old 02-08-16, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One more thought. Aren't these door switches "two stage" switches? First stage for door ajar and the second to illuminate the interior lights? If my memory serves correctly, it could be a nut adjustment at the door switch to either make it extend further or collapse, depending on what action is needed. In your instance I would see if the switch(es) could be extended ever so slightly to stop the light from coming on.

Old 02-09-16, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
Pedro, I almost added that info in my other post, but I was thinking those had the switch on the body side so would be no wire for it running to door. Worth checking for, though, as that is a common issue with electrics in the door.

Old 05-05-16, 07:34 AM
Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know - after 4 months of the 'Door Ajar' warning - this past week it stopped giving the warning for no apparent reason. I never did anything and in fact, I had a follow up question that one of you referred to originally.
Where is the sensor for the 'Door Ajar' warning. Unlike most of my old cars, there is No pressure switch built into the end of the door on the hinge-side. Only thing I see is the corrugated wiring cover for the window control and the electric door lock.
Would this be some kind of magnetic switch that operates thorough the door?
Thanks,
greynold99

Old 05-05-16, 10:13 AM
its integrated into the latch in the door

in this thing
Name:  5-5-2016 12-18-32 PM.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 05-05-16, 01:56 PM
Thanks Imsobored152

Appreciate your reply and that explains what was a mystery to me.

At least now I can understand why the thing was causing the 'Door Ajar' and tripping the Alarm...

I wonder what caused it to quit malfunctioning; or is it possibly that the unit has completely failed at this point?

greynold99

Old 05-05-16, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
is it possibly that the unit has completely failed at this point?
If the light comes on when you open each door.... then nothing has failed.

Old 05-11-16, 12:21 PM
Yep, overhead light comes on when doors opened but I never tried opening each door separately.
So, if the problem arises again I'll try that test.
Just want to mention that I'm locking the doors manually rather than using the electric lock - that seemed to be the key for avoiding the car alarm going off by itself.

thanks, Pete.