Determining year of replaced engine in Tempo

Old 01-09-16, 08:54 AM
Determining year of replaced engine in Tempo

I bought a used engine from the local junk yard and have rebuilt it. I'd like to confirm the year of manufacture of this engine since it was already out of the car and the yard wasn't real sure.

I found a stamped number 1E24SS on the top of the block. I searched the internet but no luck.

Any ideas if this number will tell me the year?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-16, 09:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be able to find out using the engine number and querying the manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) Yes the numbers will tell you the date, but I don't know which letter/number tells it since we don't know what car the engine came out of.

Old 01-10-16, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the response chandler. Do you think that 1E24SS is the engine number? I searched everything that came up when I googled "Ford engine numbers" but couldn't find anything similar to that number. And as I said, I have no idea what car it came out of [other than I'm pretty sure it was a Tempo] so that's why I'm thinking maybe some stamped or casting number may help. The "sticker" that normally is on the valve cover is gone.

Old 01-11-16, 09:51 AM
You know it's a Ford and there should be a number somewhere on the block. The number you found is not the engine number.

Old 01-11-16, 11:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Joe states, there should be a number/letter code stamped into the block. There are a number of web sites which will allow you to decode it.

Old 01-11-16, 12:12 PM
I'm still trying to figure how/why you would buy an engine, get parts for an engine and rebuild an engine when you don't know what it is ??!!

Old 01-22-16, 01:27 PM
Dear 2granddaughters, because the engine was out of the original car and the junk yard wasn't real sure of the year. I do know that it is a 2.3 HSC engine and the junk yard agreed that if when I took it apart that the block was unusable, they would take it back. Also, the engine I took out of the car was unusable for rebuild.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Old 01-22-16, 01:30 PM
Thanks Goldstar,
I did a pretty extensive search of the web looking for that number but no luck. Is there another number on the block somewhere that would be the "engine number"?