Tempo power steering question

Old 01-22-16, 08:18 PM
Tempo power steering question

I replaced the power steering pump and found that instead of the pulley mounting directly to the pump shaft, I have a "flange" that presses onto the shaft and then the 2 pulleys (one for the belt from the crankshaft and the other for the belt to the alternator) both bolt on to the "flange" together with 4 bolts.

Now the serpentine belt pulley on the PS pump doesn't line up exactly with the pulley on the crank. The pump pulley has to move towards the pump but the "flange" is bottoming out on the pump seal so it can't go any further.

Everything I see on line and in my shop manual shows the pulley mounting directly to the pump shaft.

Has anyone out there run into this set up and/or got any ideas on this?

I checked the length of the shaft on both the old and the new pump and they are both the same.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-16, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
I can't offer you any direct help. I had a similar issue with a Ford van. The belt was riding crooked and ended up wearing an unwanted groove in an obsolete drive pulley.

It's good you noticed it now. Maybe someone passing thru has an answer for you.

Old 01-23-16, 10:00 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Where did you buy the replacement pump? What brand is it? Have you asked them if there are other pumps listed? Is it possible that some years don't require a flange?

Old 01-27-16, 07:38 AM
Problem solved/can't upload pics

Hello,

So after 3 days of measuring, putting on and taking off, searching the internet and car forums to find any diagrams or information on this pulley setup.... all in vain.... I get my son to look at it and he turns to me and says..... DUH Dad... I think you have the flange on backwards.....

In a useless attempt to save face, I respond, but son, everyone knows that a flange always mounts with the flange shaft first with the flange face out so you can mount the pulley on it............

Of course, that only applies to all flanges in the world except '89 Ford Tempos..

BTW... does anyone know how to get pics into a post/reply? I used the attachment function but just get pics with large "?" in them....

Please some one help me so I don't have to ask me son!!!

Old 01-27-16, 07:54 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Use photobucket.com instead._________

Old 01-27-16, 08:17 AM
Is there a way to get the "attachment" function to work... I'm don't want to add another program to my computer and the photobucket is a download.

Perhaps there is a thread on here that could help me. I tried to search on a couple of strings about adding pictures but just got either "no results" or things that had no connection to what I was looking for.

Old 01-27-16, 08:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Photobucket is a web site & you upload pics.

Old 01-27-16, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

I've not always had success following those instructions [I'm sure it's me not the instructions ]
but posting a link to photobucket always works

Old 01-27-16, 01:52 PM
Thanks Pulpo,

Yes it is a website and turns out I registered with it a long time ago. I'm not sure I see the point of uploading my pictures to a website so that I go there to upload them to this website.

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just browse my computer from here and upload.

Am I missing something here?

thanks

Old 01-27-16, 02:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Am I missing something here?
I never tried to upload pics to DIY. Photobucket maybe more user friendly. I used them once, twice at the most. Since you already have an account, why loose anymore time?

Old 01-29-16, 06:10 AM
Just would like to be able to use the attach function to save time in the future and not have to do double uploads.

Know who I would contact to get the problem resolved?