Coolant leak at hose to radiator joint

Old 01-24-16, 12:46 AM
G
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Coolant leak at hose to radiator joint

The place where an inlet hose attached to the top of the radiator has a small leak. It seems the hose clamp is not able to clamp the hose to the collar tight enough to prevent seepage when the car is running (and radiator is pressurized). When the car is off, there is no leak.

The hose looks to be fine, no cuts or tears. I don't think I can tighten the hose clamp any more without breaking the plastic radiator collar.

Is there any sealant I can use that seal better but still allow the hose to be removed from the radiator in the future? This sealant has to withstand pressure and hot water.

Also I see online there are radiator hoses made of silicone. Would this seal to the radiator better then the OEM rubber radiator hose?

car is a 2002 WRX

Old 01-24-16, 02:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sometimes you can twist the hose a little to get a better seal. Have you checked to make sure there are no obstructions preventing a good seal? Also there is the possibility that the radiator is leaking and not the hose

Old 01-24-16, 08:01 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Plastic radiator necks start crumbling and cracking over time. That might be cause of your leak. Inspection needed.
No, there is no sealant that will seal yet be pliable down the road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: