intermittent drivers side pull

Old 01-31-16, 04:06 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
intermittent drivers side pull

2008 mitsubishi outlander awd - pulls to the left like I need an alignment, I have new tires, new front suspension incl. struts, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods and new brakes and rotors. Got an alignment done and as far as I know everything should be square but every so often I still get a pull to the left. I say every so often because it comes and goes... not sure yet what happens for it to stop pulling so im asking if anyone has any ideas what would cause something like this.

Old 01-31-16, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the road? I've experienced a pull to one side or the other periodically with no explanation other than the road.

Old 01-31-16, 05:00 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
When you say intermittent, explain further. What conditions are present when it happens? Are you braking, coasting, accelerating, turning, etc... Does you car have disc brakes all around or do you have drums on the rear? If drums, then primary and secondary pads may have been mixed up. A sticking caliper can cause the same symptom. Could be a bad bearing. You had a lot of work done, could be bad installation at some point. Bring it back to shop and have them make it right.

Old 01-31-16, 07:30 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've watch a technician spend more time on his phone than on my car when up on the alignment machine. In fact, I got his rear end chewed out by the manager at this well known auto repair facility. I watched him through the shop window for 45 minutes gabbing away before I had a word with the manager. Short answer, take it back to the shop, may have been a hitch in the alignment process.

Old 01-31-16, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
After doing alignments for many years, When I hear of a pull I always rotate the front tires no mater how new they are. Pulls can be from many things but start with the easiest.

Old 01-31-16, 03:01 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Old 01-31-16, 07:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another easy/cheap thing to check, is when your driving and feel the pull, drive on a little way, then gently slow down and stop in a safe spot and feel your rims. Your checking for one noticeably hotter than the rest. If you find a hotter one, have that one checked for sticking brake.

Old 01-31-16, 11:09 PM
H
Disk all around, did the work myself and ive done simple work like this for years, ive tried rotating them in an X (pass rear to driver front, driver rear to pass front), its mostly noticeable on the highway so higher speeds ergo further travel, ive tried the rotor temp test and they are both always to hot for me to tell them apart but neither are searing hot. Would like to think its not the wheel bearing because the speed sensor is built into the bearing and tells me when there is a shift/wear. I noticed today it kind of went away after a hard right turn, i dont hear any knocking noises like the cv is bad.. yes it is fwd while in 2wd. could i have a faulty strut sticking or something?

Old 02-01-16, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Not a fan of x rotation for this check as you never know how the rear tires are. Rotate just front tires. New struts did they replace bearing plates? Sticking or bad bearing can cause this.

Old 02-01-16, 05:33 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I would ask:

how long does this pulling last when it happens? 5 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes? Or maybe measured in mileage - 1/4 mile or less, 1/2 mile, 1 mile, 5 miles? Does it always last about the same time or distance, OR is it unpredictable?

Was this pulling going on prior to the work done that you mentioned above, did it start during or after the work was done?

Has it gotten worse over time or has it been about the same. No worse / no better?

How long have you had this vehicle. Time owned vs time of problem....???

Old 02-01-16, 07:36 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Got an alignment done and as far as I know everything should be square but every so often I still get a pull to the left.
Was that a front end alignment or a 4-wheel alignment?

Old 02-02-16, 07:31 PM
H
old bearing plates, 4 wheel alignment, ive had the vehicle since aug of last year and it was really bad when i got it - major pull steering wheel shaking bunch of noise and the bearing warning light. it actually still pulled slightly after the alignment but the guy said "its just tire pull get new hoops and it will clear up" it didnt. the times it does it in unpredictable. im going to check caliper on left side again i noticed today it does it really bad when i slow to a stop the steering will will tun a complete 1.4 turn on its own around 5 mph while stopping

Old 02-03-16, 01:06 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Look at rotors. If you see a blue-ish color rotor, it's sign of overheat. Healthy rotor is uniformly grey-ish in color. Also, blue "streaks" on rotor point towards local overheating.

This will help:

http://www.westyorkssteel.com/files/...lour_chart.png

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: