2002 PT Cruiser driveability issue

Old 02-04-16, 11:57 AM
2002 PT Cruiser driveability issue

Hi all,

Only have 50,000K on it and here is the issue. Seems when driving and going over a bumps/holes in road, the back end ( I think mainly the passenger side) feels terrible. Almost like a solid thump when hit and it isn't absorbing any shock. When parked if I go to the back end, I can bounce each side up and down and it seems like the springs/shocks are okay and the car bounces up and down okay on each side. I am not sure what the PT cruise has if it is springs or shocks or both. Anyways, not sure what can be causing this annoying thump. It is almost like if you were driving on a steel rim and you hit a bump it would be a solid hit and not any cushion. Best way I can describe it. Thx for assistance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-16, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Most likely struts, that's the industry standard. Probably have one or both worn out although you could have some wear in other suspension components as well. If you bounce the back of the car it should be fairly stiff and not rebound easily and keep bouncing.

Old 02-04-16, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Okay did a quick lookup and yours looks like coil springs and shocks. Same diagnosis, likely worn rear shocks. Pretty easy to DIY replace.

Old 02-04-16, 02:44 PM
Ok i i will check out those components. Also did some searching around and it seems the pt is known for wearing out the watts linkage or bellcrank which leads to clunking as well. Thx