1996 Acura Integra: blown speakers or loose wire?

Old 02-15-16, 03:52 PM
1996 Acura Integra: blown speakers or loose wire?

recently replaced stock stereo in a 1996 integra with a Pioneer MVH-X380BT. Now getting static, sometimes thumpy static sound from the speakers.

The speakers are stock speakers from 1996. Wondering if there is a loose wire or the new system is more powerful and blowing the speakers?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Most cars..... pretty sure your Acura too.... have amplifiers in the car. One amp may be in the trunk section and one may be in the passenger kick panel. Your body style determines the locations.

If you use a powered head unit like yours you either need to bypass the amps or use line level converters to drive them.

Old 02-15-16, 05:24 PM
Grrr...
Not that much of power to blow anything. I also never saw a head unit upgrade blow stock speakers.
You do have Pioneer chassis grounded, right? And factory antenna is fitting in well?
You may also try making a Faraday cage for it. It is picking static chatter from somewhere.

Old 02-15-16, 07:18 PM
It would help if you can somehow record noise and post here.
As PJmax said, you car may have amplifier. In that case, you can connect speaker outputs to line level output (White and red RCA connectors on back) instead.
If your car had premium audio system, chances are you have external amplifier. If it was basic model, and there is no external amplifier in most case.

It could also be bad connection. Not cropped or soldered completely, intermittent short, etc.

Old 02-16-16, 06:34 PM
I will double check the speaker connections. I remember now that the two front speakers were replaced with new speakers a couple years ago.

Would purchasing new speakers solve the problem? If so, is there a particular type of speakers I should be looking for?

Old 02-16-16, 08:47 PM
Would purchasing new speakers solve the problem?
Only if your speakers are bad. But it won't go bad just because you installed new head unit.
Any speaker that fits your car will work fine. Impedance of 4 or 8 ohms will work with pretty much all head units on the market and pretty much all speakers on the market are 4 or 8 ohms. Anything else will be hard to find.

Also, even if you had amplifier, it should not damage speakers. Connecting amplified signal to another amplifier simply overdrives 2nd amplifier and cause output to get chopped off.

Old 02-17-16, 07:25 PM
round peg in an oval hole

did a little investigating and the rear left speaker is going out. Connection is solid.

I have 2 new round 6.5 coaxial speakers. Going to try to mount them in place of the stock speakers.

Old 02-18-16, 05:04 AM
"recently replaced stock stereo in a 1996 integra with a Pioneer MVH-X380BT"

That is a 50W/channel radio.
Be sure your speakers are rated for well over 50W or you'll burn them up.