2004 nissan altima has oil coming from exhaust, HELP!

Old 02-15-16, 07:28 PM
2004 nissan altima has oil coming from exhaust, HELP!

I bought a nice 2004 nissan altima with 114k miles for my brother. I was told the flex pipe up front was broken and it could use a tune up.
So, I fixed the exhaust and started to do the plugs. I was on the last one when I pulled off the coil pack and the tube the spark plug is in was full of oil. I drained as much as I could with a hose then took out the spark plug. I had never seen this before so I started doing research. Everything said the valve had to be replaced, so I did, then the battery had to be replaced so I did. When I startedthe car there was oil coming from the exhaust pretty bad. So I changed the pcv valve figuring that would help but nope.
It ran fine but was loud and I don't remember any oil leaking at all before I started messing with it. I am back to square one and would love to get this car going for my brother. If anyone has any ideas what's going on please help. If I have to do the rings and pistions, how bad of a job is it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-16, 07:50 PM
Is there something that I could have done to this car

I am wondering if I did something to the car to break it? I really need some help with this if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Old 02-15-16, 09:23 PM
Everything said the valve had to be replaced, so I did,
It should been valve cover gasket, not the valve. Did you actually replace valves? Replacing valve is a major repair, not something you can easily do at home without extensive knowledge.
You have to disassemble head and you have to adjust gap after disassembly.

If you actually replaces the valve, and did you correctly adjust valves, that probably is what cause your problem.

If you have only replaced valve cover gasket, I don't see any reason for you to suddenly see oil in exhaust.
You will also have to replace ignition coil boot if it was soaked with oil.

Old 02-16-16, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Agree with lambition .

When you removed the spark plug, the oil in the cavity went down into the cylinder, that's likely where you got the smoke/oil. No way should a Nissan with 114k on it need any major work unless it was abused in a previous life.

If it's "loud" you have an exhaust connection that isn't tight, missing gasket, misaligned, etc.