1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee blower motor issue

Old 02-22-16, 04:29 PM
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee blower motor issue

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the straight six and the fan doesn't work on the highest setting. I thought it was the blower motor so I replaced it. It still didn't work so I replaced the blower motor resistor. Still nothing comes out on the highest setting.

What are my other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-16, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
I'd say you got a bad resistor... but it sounds like the switch can go bad on those jeeps.

The Definitive Blower Motor blown/melted resistor/switch/wire fix - JeepForum.com

Old 02-22-16, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
A lot of Chrysler products used a relay to switch the blower to high. In the diagram that's in X's link it shows that there is no relay which leaves a melted speed switch.

Old 02-22-16, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have to agree with PJ. I think the high speed setting on the switch is out.

A bit of a different brand & time but if I remember correctly, back in the late 70's or early 80's Ford had this problem for a couple of years. At that time, Ford was using the "sliders" all-in-one controls/selector for the temp, output/direction & fan switch. It was common to just remove a few screws, remove the face plate, remove a couple of screws for the selector & replace. It was the high speed setting on the fan switch. It was a very common problem for those vehicles.

Based on your OP that its only the high speed setting, just change out that switch & you should be good.

Good luck & let us know the outcome

Old 02-23-16, 08:15 AM
The HVAC blower switch high speed selection is wired in parallel with the output from the resistor block to the motor so either the switch is defective in the high speed position or the wire from the switch high speed select position to the motor is open.
The motor resistor block is not used for motor high speed. It only controls the lower speeds.

Old 02-24-16, 06:35 PM
back in the late 70's or early 80's Ford had this problem for a couple of years.
I bought a used '78 Ford van in 1979 that had this exact problem, the blower would only work on low speed. A new switch was all it needed and the old one was definitely melted.

Based on your OP that its only the high speed setting, just change out that switch & you should be good.
I think this is your solution.

Old 03-04-16, 03:09 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying....yep, it was a bad switch. Swapped it out and it works like a charm now. Probably headed off another issue anyway because the new blower motor is definitely stronger.

Thanks for all your help.

On to the next issue in plumbing.........