Mighty Vac Brake Bleeder

Old 03-01-16, 09:11 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Mighty Vac Brake Bleeder

My Mighty Vac brake bleeder doesn't have an air tight connection to my bleeder screws so I am finding it difficult to bleed the brakes by myself. I'm using the 90 degree rubber boot that came with the kit, and although it feels snug, it is not holding vacuum. I held my finger over the end to check the hoses, reservoir, etc, and all of that is air tight, so I know it is the connection to the bleeder screw. Have you guys had any luck using this rubber boot? I think I'm going to try using a smaller diameter hose to attach to the screw, then adapting it to the larger hose using one of the tapered plastic fittings from the kit. Curious why the kit came with two identically sized boots and not a small and a large.

Old 03-01-16, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
First open bleeder screw, take cap off master cylinder and see if it will gravity bleed. If not you have either a bleeder clogged or something up stream blocked.

Old 03-01-16, 06:01 PM
M
Yes, fluid comes out. That isn't my issue though. I was curious if anyone with a Mighty Vac has a better method than using the elbow adapter.

Old 03-02-16, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Been many years since I used one but I remember not using adapter and just plugged hose over bleed screw if it fit.

Old 03-02-16, 08:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Corrosion on the bleeder makes it difficult to get a good vacuum seal. Also when you loosen the bleeder air can seep in around the threads. IMO a Mity Vac can't keep up with these losses and is a wimpy pump to draw fluid past the check valves.

Old 03-02-16, 11:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I always just used a large rock on the break pedal, a piece of vacuum hose and a bottle... but I was a lot more nimble then.

Old 03-02-16, 01:40 PM
M
These are new calipers with new bleeders, so that isn't the issue. I've used the (not so) Mighty Vac on other vehicles and it has worked. I'll figure it out. I have a pneumatic bleeder as well that connects to an air line for continuous suction. Maybe I'll start using that instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: