Wheel bearing / hub replacement

Old 03-04-16, 11:09 AM
Wheel bearing / hub replacement

I'm having the wheel bearings and hubs replaced on my 2WD 2004 Tundra tomorrow. I'm removing the knuckles and taking them to a local machine shop to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed in. The bearings are sealed (mostly) and pre-greased. I say mostly because the inner race is two pieces that move independently, at least when the bearings aren't installed. The torque spec for the hub lock nut (tightened from the inward facing part of the knuckle) is a hefty 203 ft-lbs. I'm curious how a shop goes about fastening a nut to this torque on a wheel bearing. The bearing/hub will surely spin. I want to imagine they have some sort of jig that the lug nuts fasten to so it doesn't turn, but the realistic part of me is thinking he'll either use an impact wrench or wedge a crowbar between the wheels studs to hold it still while tightening, in which case it will be over tightened or my studs will be marred up. I don't want to insult the guy, but I was thinking of bringing my spare tire with me so he could secure the hub to it using the lug nuts, place the wheel face down on the floor and then tighten the lock nut using a torque wrench. Or perhaps telling him to leave the nuts hand tight and I will torque them when I get home. I usually wouldn't make such a big deal about something like this (okay, maybe I would), but I want to be absolutely certain it is done properly because it is such a PITA job and a major inconvenience to me. Thoughts?

I just read that some wheel bearings require the vehicle to be on the ground to apply final torquing. If this is the case, then I'll just ask him to hand tighten and I'll torque them at home once I put everything back together.

Last edited by mossman; 03-04-16 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 12:30 PM
I got my answer. The procedure is to secure the hub in a vice with soft jaws, torque the nut to 203 ft lbs, and stake the nut. That's it. Thank goodness.