Rust on Aftermarket Parts

Old 03-17-16, 04:37 PM
Rust on Aftermarket Parts

It seems no matter what brand I buy, aftermarket parts always rust within a few days of installation. Raybestos is the worst. I had a pair of sway bar links that started to rust within days and after several months were in very poor shape. One of the bolts snapped when I was attempting to get it off. I put AC Delco brake drums on the rear and after a year they are covered in a thick layer of rust. Moog tie rod ends I installed three weeks ago are spotted with rust already. What's the deal?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-16, 05:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Moog & AC Delco are supposed to be two of the better brands. However, I'm sure that they are made in China too. At the same time, I've never seen a rust proof brake drum, even from the factory.

Old 03-18-16, 02:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only way to stop rust on unpainted parts is to clean them up, prime and paint them. The manufacture often only applies a thin layer or oil [sometimes paint] which is just enough to get them to the consumer rust free.

Old 03-18-16, 09:08 AM
But...conserving oil is good for the planet

Old 03-18-16, 10:47 AM
How about wiping them down with WD-40?

Old 03-18-16, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That will help until the WD-40 either washes or wears off.

Old 03-18-16, 02:16 PM
Temporarily Suspended
WD-40 is not the magic bullet that people think it is.

Old 03-18-16, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
WD...water displacement. 40...40th formula. Nothing about rust preventative even if it's advertised that way now. Maybe if you want to clean and spray them every week it would help.

Now, they do make some sprays that dry to a waxy coating that lasts pretty well, but even those aren't designed for a car undercarriage.

Why the big concern anyway? Just for looks?

Old 03-19-16, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Because WD-40 displaces water it can be used as a short term rust preventive coating but it is short lived. I used to know drywall finishers that would spray their tools with WD-40 at the end of the day to prevent rust. It was easily wiped or rinsed off the next time they were used. With better steel being used in today's drywall tools I doubt anyone still does that.

Generally parts that are sold without some type of semi-permanent coating are parts that aren't expected to rust thru or otherwise be compromised during their expected service life. I can understand priming/painting parts to keep them looking nice

Search this Thread